Multi-leaf spring isolator pad query - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Paul

Garage
Multi-leaf spring isolator pad query

The car is in my spring shop for replacement of the shackles, front eye bushings and spring pad isolators.

We discovered that the pads on the car are 1970 + correct and not '69.

As the car was a June build, does anybody know if there was a running change to the configuration?

I am assuming that in its past somebody's switched stuff out and I haven't yet uncovered the casting date code on the housing.

paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 03:30 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Multi-leaf spring isolator pad query

Second gen pads have a larger hole in the spring plate so the pad will have a matching larger protrusion for the center bolt. I think they have a metal spacer ring that sets in the lower pad to take up the extra space. I've seen the housing slip on the leaf spring and shear off the rubber protrusion. Usually happens on the right hand side. For performance use, I prefer to run without the pads and add metal spacers if needed.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Paul

Garage

These are the pads and bushings we replaced this past week. They show some fairly significant movement.

paul

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
James

Those shackles and bolts are after market, so it looks like the suspension has been worked on before.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 01:24 PM
David Pozzi

The stock shackle length is critical to stock spring performance. It's length and installed angle does a lot more than people realize. It provides a rising spring rate in compression for mono-leaf and multi-leaf springs. If you install longer shackles, the spring rate does not rise as fast as designed. If your springs sag, the shackle angle changes and the spring package delivers a stiffer rate. I'm not saying aftermarket shackles are no good, but they should be stock length hole to hole to work as the manufacturer intended.

Mono leaf springs only have a register welded to the bottom of the leaf and if not clamped tight enough the axle can slip forward on the leaf and tear the pads. The mono-leaf lower spring plates are thinner than a multi leaf plate and tend to bow when tightened so they are not capable of clamping the leaf spring very tight. They also can crack more easily, probably due to flexing. I prefer to use a spacer or thin lowering block on top of the leaf and let the leaf register fully engage the hole in the spring plate so the axle does not slip.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode