1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garfields Maro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randy

Garage
1967 SS Disc Brakes

I am in the process of restoring a 67 RS/SS with disc brakes. The rotors are rusty and would be out of spec if they could be cleaned up. The calipers and master cylinder are in need of rebuilding as the car sat for about 10 years. So far the people I have talked too are saying don't bother rebuilding the parts replace them. The calipers are the 4 piston variety and apparently they tend to leak. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 12:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Send a message via AIM to hotrodbaker
Re: 1967 SS Disc Brakes

The 4 piston calipers set up is desired and necessary for a correct car but i just faced this dilemma on my 67 SS and for now i'm going with the 69 and up single piston style for lower cost. I am converting my 67 RS to disc and rebuilding my 67 SS so I was in the market for 2 sets. Possible leak and high price to get them made me go cheep as the 4 piston calipers are rare, valuable and not easy to get.

Keep for Show! or
Sell for Dough!

Mike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Rebuilding the calipers and MC with brass or stainless sleeves should almost eliminate any chance of future problems. Just need to make sure the brake fluid gets changed (flushed) every couple years. This applies especially to cars that doesn't get driven much.
Larger Dave likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 04:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I would keep the original parts and have them reconditioned. My original 4-piston calipers were re-sleeved with SS inserts in the 80's and still working fine. The M/C was recently re-sleeved with brass a few years back and working fine now. I use Dot 5 fluid too.
The 2-piece rotors are available in eBay. You can switch hubs between the original and replacements to get a fresh rotor if you want to (that is what I did) because I'm not sure of the type of iron used on today's reproductions.

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I rebuilt mine myself over 3 yrs ago with a rebuild kit. Easy to do. Cleaned and painted. Still look new and work great. Not sure how bad yours are. Just an option.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode