Rear End Upgrades - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Joe

Rear End Upgrades

Hey guys. Long time listener, first time caller. I'm a pretty good DIY'er, and I have a son who enjoys working on the car with me, but I need some guidance on what to buy.

69 camaro ss clone. Lots of original (at least date correct) parts. 350 SB is not original but rebuilt and runs great. Tranny is TH400. It has front disk brakes that are fairly new.

10-bolt rear, drum breaks, leaf springs that are completely flat.

My next project is to replace the rear end. I'd like posi-traction, disk brakes, 12-bolt and new leaf springs. I'm assuming I can just buy and entire rear end ready for install so what do you recommend? I'm not racing and don't want to spend 10K on a fancy aftermarket end. I think the original style parts will suit my needs just fine.

One area I may need to outsource is running brake lines to the rear. I'd also like someone in the brake business to make sure the current booster system is sufficient and to confirm my vacuum is adequate.

Only other comment is that my end goal is to put a ZZ6 in. I know this is a whole topic in itself but the point is more horsepower while staying in the small block class and keeping a/c.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Rear End Upgrades

https://www.ebay.com/i/223201636916?chn=ps

add the disc brakes you want (I wouldn't, I would use the rear drums off of a 12 bolt Impala wagon (or a police car) 11 x 2-1/2 drum brake). Stock drums where smaller and narrower.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 04:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
https://www.ebay.com/i/223201636916?chn=ps

add the disc brakes you want (I wouldn't, I would use the rear drums off of a 12 bolt Impala wagon (or a police car) 11 x 2-1/2 drum brake). Stock drums where smaller and narrower.

Big Dave
I did exactly what Dave is recommending on my Z. Very pleased with the results, and not expensive either. You can buy the kit, or go to the bone yards. I went the bone yard route. Always put new wheel cylinders, and springs on a drum brake. New drums were about the same price as rotors.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 04:29 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

WOW, just looked at Currie and Moser rears.... man did they go up in price since I last looked

I guess That Ebay one is priced OK then ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 04:34 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Save some money. Your not racing the car, find an 8.5 10 bolt. Plenty strong for your needs.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I ran a 8.5 behind a 454 for 12 years. No problems . I was not running slicks, but did have a stall converter. Just the run of the mill Nova rear with a Trans Am posi carrier. A very fun car to drive.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Joe

How would you address the leaf springs? I know there's more to a smooth ride than springs but I literally feel every bump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode