Front springs: anyone fitted stiffer springs on a BB street car? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 18, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Miles

Front springs: anyone fitted stiffer springs on a BB street car?

I have a 67 with an iron head 396, 4 speed, power steering and power brakes. Probably won't add AC to this one, but probably will add EFI. Currently the stock 327ish lb/in springs are in it. I have been cutting them to get the ride height I want with a view to throwing them out and getting something stiffer. I have the ride height I want, and the springs are so squishy I can lean on the car and have it hit the bump stops. This is not cool with full length Hookers. I'm already modifying those to get them to a legal clearance. These springs are so soft that with the battery out, the car hangs 3/8" lower front left and sits up 7/8" higher at the rear right!!

I have 17x7s in front with decent 235/45 street rubber. I have changed the front brakes to 96 Corvette HD 13" rotors with later model 2 piston calipers (a little bigger diameter than the Corvette pistons). Later I will likely change the rear drums to discs. Soon I am getting rid of the leaf spring rear and putting in a bolt-in triangulated 4 link. I want this car to handle well on the street. I will not autocross it. I want a firm sports car feel but not race car uncomfortable. I want this car to feel and behave more like a modern car. My Camaros in the past have all been a bit rattly and loose in the rear and wallowed in the front. I think the brakes and rubber can handle significantly higher rate springs than the originals, and I will upgrade the sway bar from stock too.

I'd like to hear from anybody with a BB car who has put on stiffer springs. I am leaning towards something in the 475 - 525 area. Of course I have read David's site and am firstly considering something along the lines of the Moog 5536 (or a locally sourced equivalent as shipping is high on springs). If you have fitted something stiffer than the stock or Z28 springs, how does the car handle? Is it rough or hard?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 10:36 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Front springs: anyone fitted stiffer springs on a BB street car?

The Big Block springs are very soft.

Everyone has different tolerance to ride quality, and the road conditions the car is driven on has a big influence on ride.
Also you need to factor in your desires for how much grip you want the car to have. No use putting super stiff suspension on a car with small or poor grip stock type 15" rim tires.

I have a friend who has a 69 SB Camaro with good rubber and lots of power. But he wants a better ride than the usual 600 lb front coils and 175 rear leaf springs. We changed to 450 front coils, left the rear springs alone for now and used Koni adjustable shocks. He's happier with this setup.

Shocks have a big effect on ride, as you go up in spring rate, you need more rebound valving. A rebound adjustable shock is a big help.

I'd put a 225 rear coil on it and a 450 to 500 front coil. A 4 link will greatly improve the ride. Look at the Ride Tech Street Grip system. It's tuned for the street but has very good handling.

If you have stock type seats, they make the ride feel worse because the seat springs in them are bouncy.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Dec 1st, 18 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 18, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: Front springs: anyone fitted stiffer springs on a BB street car?

Consider going with 9" race springs and adjustable coil spring spacers. You'll be able to dial in whichever ride height you desire and you can change out springs inexpensively.

I have a small block and started with 450 and quickly went to 500. I love the 500 and I have my height exactly where I want it.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180į Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode