Proportioning Valve ? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Question Proportioning Valve ?

I have a 69 Camaro that has been causing me fits. I put in a new master cylinder. A Dorman 13-1423, supposedly for 67-69's with front disc brakes. It is what they call a Z28 type. It acts like there is air in the lines. I bleed all 4 brakes and the pedal feels great, until you start the car and the pedal drops almost to the floor. This car is a factory LM1 car. Stock front disc brakes and a 12 bolt rear end. It does not appear to have a proportioning valve ! It only has a distribution block. If this is all that is required, I assume that this master cylinder will not work ? If this is the case should I just install a combination proportioning valve/distribution block (PV 2) ?

The first image is my original master cylinder.
The 2nd image is of a pv 2 proportioning valve.
The 3rd image is my new master cylinder installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01055br - Copy.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	222911   Click image for larger version

Name:	pp1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	222913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01052br.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	222917  

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Proportioning Valve ?

Did you fully bench bleed the new MC?

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: Proportioning Valve ?

Yes, I did bench bleed it.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 02:21 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

A factory disc/drum setup would have had a metering valve, which holds off pressure to the front discs until enough fluid pressure has built up to expand the rear shoes to contact the drums. However, metering valves have a little plunger valve that you have to depress manually to open the internal valve for bleeding purposes, so without having one, that's not your issue. I would revisit the new master cylinder and see if it has a residual pressure valve in each chamber outlet, there should be one in the rear for drums but not the front for discs. Also I would check the flexible hoses to each wheel, if you are reusing older hoses they can look fine but may have collapsed internally.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 03:10 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

When I did my manual drum/drum to power disc/drum I had a similar issue.
I think (been 20 yrs.) it was the rod was wrong (plunger) at the MC ????

I would start the car and the pedal would go to the floor and return without even touching it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Doug - Thanks for the reply, Yes I measured the depth of the master cylinder to the mounting surface and then made sure the rod was out from the power booster that distance, with about .060 clearance. I fine tuned it by pedal feel after that.

Tim - I think you are on to something. The 67-68's when they had disc brakes, there was a proportioning valve added. My 69 does not have a proportioning valve, so from what you are saying is that the 69's are different and it should have a residual proportioning valve in the master cylinder. This would answer my question and not all 67-69 Camaro's use the same master cylinder as the parts books try to tell you. To fix my problem, I think I will just install the PV-2 proportioning valve and remove the distribution block. The car is far from stock so I am not concerned with keeping it original. GM even went back to a proportioning valve on the 2nd gens, I am thinking in '71 ? Also, I have stainless steel flex lines, so no all rubber hoses.

Thank you for all your help !

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Tom I was referring to the metering valve that sits up under the brake booster, rather than a dedicated proportioning valve that prevents locking up rear drum brakes before the front discs have become fully effective; there's a great explanation of the various valve terminology and function over at the CRG here: Camaro Brake Valves

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Tim - I think you are on to something. The 67-68's when they had disc brakes, there was a proportioning valve added. My 69 does not have a proportioning valve, so from what you are saying is that the 69's are different and it should have a residual proportioning valve in the master cylinder. This would answer my question and not all 67-69 Camaro's use the same master cylinder as the parts books try to tell you. To fix my problem, I think I will just install the PV-2 proportioning valve and remove the distribution block. The car is far from stock so I am not concerned with keeping it original. GM even went back to a proportioning valve on the 2nd gens, I am thinking in '71 ? Also, I have stainless steel flex lines, so no all rubber hoses.
!
The one in your second picture is a combination valve, not a proportioning valve. Read this and it will tell you all about the components and their correct names: Camaro Brake Valves

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

My bad on calling the metering valve a proportioning valve. My 69' does not have a metering valve or a proportioning valve ! I am thinking GM thought the residual valve would be enough ? Also, I understand that I called combination valve a proportioning valve... almost all of the brake companies do. GM also calls the Distribution block a switch.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
My bad on calling the metering valve a proportioning valve. My 69' does not have a metering valve or a proportioning valve ! I am thinking GM thought the residual valve would be enough ?
Doubtful the factory installed the wrong system on a disc/drum car. Drum brakes were standard on LM-1 cars. Power drums and disc/drum were options. LM1 info here:CRG Research Report - LM1 Ė The 69 Budget Performer Don't toss your original MC, someone will want it.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

No, I am not saying that GM installed the wrong parts. I was stating that My LM-1 car does not have a metering valve or a proportioning valve and now, with a NEW master cylinder from DORMAN it does not function properly. They claim that the master cylinder fits 67-69 Camaro's.

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
To fix my problem, I think I will just install the PV-2 proportioning valve and remove the distribution block. The car is far from stock so I am not concerned with keeping it original.
If you've installed a combination valve as your picture suggests, it contains/provides all the functions of the multiple valves originally installed on a '69 with front disc/rear drum. I'd stick with that. My bets are your MC is not fully bled even though you did already bleed it since you've verified you have the correct push rod length for your MC/booster combination. Others on this site from time to time have bled their MC multiple times only to do it again and find air trapped in the system. Did you bleed the MC on the car in the tilted orientation or horizontal clamped in a vise? You can get air trapped if the MC is not bled horizontally.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Unhappy Re: Proportioning Valve ?

Thanks for replying Chris. I bled the master cylinder in a vise horizontally level. The picture of the combination valve is what I am considering using. Your suggestion on leaving it as it was, is where "the problem" is. My car does not have a metering device or a proportioning valve or a combination valve ! It only has the distribution block, that GM just calls a switch. It has been this way for me the last 20 years, and I assume since new - 50 years ago. I needed a new master cylinder and installed the NEW Dorman master cylinder that is for a 67-69 camaro with front disc brakes.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Tom, It's a bit surprising and puzzling why your car didn't have the normal valves as has been mentioned. A few things to check: are the rear brakes adjusted properly, is the pedal rod in the correct lower hole (power brakes) and is the push rod/pin set for the correct length ? Another item is verify you have a disc/drum master cylinder. It could have been packaged wrong. You may have a drum/drum MS. See the CRG info above for part(s) identification. I also believe you will need to add a combination valve as that would be expected by the master cylinder builder/remanufacturer. Also when bleeding the brakes I normally use the pump up/hold release method (2 person) in the order of RR/LR/RF/LF. Don't let the MS run dry.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Proportioning Valve ?

Another interesting note. I have looked in the 69 AIM and the valves are not shown or mentioned either ! (That I could find)
The inside rod that you are speaking of has never been touched or changed either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode