3Likes
  • 1 Post By Old Dad's 67
  • 1 Post By sleepsinshed
  • 1 Post By keithl1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Cardone box 276550

I was putting a Cardone box 276550 into my 1969 Camaro. I discovered that the hose fittings are not metric. They would not accept the 18mm 1.5 nor the 16mm 1.5 adapters.
Has anyone else ran into this issue?

I called Cardone, and they said I should reach out to Rock auto for a replacement. Rock Auto will not replace it as it is over 30 days since purchase.
Anyone have thoughts on what box I actually have?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Cardone box 276550

The Cardone 276550 was used on 1982-1992 Camaro, so it has metric fittings. For your 1969 Camaro, you need the Cardone 276537 (standard ratio) or Cardone 276509 (quick ratio). Both of these are have SAE fittings.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

I used the same quick ratio "IROC" steering box in my car. I purchased adapters that are inserted into the hose ports on the box from Lee Power Steering in Santa Clarita. Shipping was quick and cheap. No leaks in over a year. There are other adapters available. Search the forums for IROC steering conversion or "Cardone 27-6550". You will need a different steering coupler as well. The Dorman #31011 coupler will work.

Good luck.
69Z28 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

You can also get the adapters from Summit. These are the ones I used.

Just 1 More likes this.

Kevin

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 07:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsinshed View Post
You can also get the adapters from Summit. These are the ones I used.

These are the same ones I used (along with the previously mentioned Dorman rag joint) when I did the swap (same box number) earlier this spring...
Just 1 More likes this.

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 18, 10:16 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
The Cardone 276550 was used on 1982-1992 Camaro, so it has metric fittings. For your 1969 Camaro, you need the Cardone 276537 (standard ratio) or Cardone 276509 (quick ratio). Both of these are have SAE fittings.

Ed
Are the above boxes 12:1 ratio with firm feel? Or are they stock First Gen replacements?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 18, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

David, several years ago I got the Cardone 276509 box from NAPA to replace the original quick ratio box on my 68 Camaro. (My original had developed a leak at the one of the seals. I still have it and one of these days I'll have it rebuilt.)

Anyway, Cardone calls it a "quick ratio", but it's not the same as the original. My original box is almost exactly 2 turns lock to lock and the Cardone box I got is about 3.25. I see they're advertising it as 2.5 to 3 turns, but unless they've changed something between when I got mine and now, it's not.

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -

Last edited by bertfam; Nov 25th, 18 at 08:35 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 18, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Cardone box 276550

There was a time when it was hit or miss on getting the correct box from cardone. Ed- It doesn't sound like you got the correct box. Hawkflyer- Do the ports accept the original hoses ? Check the number of input turns that your box has. (It doesn't sound like you got the right box, either). There was a firm feel, quick ratio box that accepts the standard hoses. It was from a late 2nd gen camaro and/or Monte Carlo SS. I have an AGR box that uses the stock hoses and is firm feel and quick ratio. AGR's website is https://www.steerco.com They offer the 12:1 (12.7:1) steering gear or the 13-16:1 variable ratio. I have the variable ratio, after trying their 12:1 and didn't like it.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Nov 25th, 18 at 11:17 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 18, 11:39 AM
David Pozzi

The 12.7:1 can be too quick if you have the shortest outer arms and the long pitman.
My favorite setup is a 12.7:1 box with short pitman and short outer arms.

I think going with a Cardone box is gambling. You don't know what you are getting for sure. Even if you get a fast ratio you don't know if the valving is the IROC type firm feel or something less. i've had good luck with AGR boxes and they are made to take a stock first gen power steer rag joint and hoses. Turn One and others have good boxes that are based on the newer 600 series with a bit less lash in the valving.

If I were going to use a Cardone box, I'd verify the rato at least. Ratio info here: Camaro steering

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 07:27 AM
Apprentice
Mark

I have a '68 Camaro with factory manual steering that I want to convert to power. Most of my knowledge about the conversion comes from Pozzi's website and online forums but I still have questions.
I have purchased a Cardone 27-6550 gearbox which is supposed to be the sought after 12.7:1 (hit or miss) unit. Purchased from Summit. Mine has a total travel of 70 degrees through 2.7 turns. Using the math formula on Pozzi's website that works out to a 13.88:1 ratio. My car has 6" long steering arms verified by measuring and the casting part numbers. The pitman arm is 5-1/4" or so long, MAYBE 5-3/8" max so it would be considered a short one. It's been that way for the 22 years I have had the car. It drives and steers fine but in tight congested areas it's a becoming a bear for the 'ol man. I have installed Global West upper tubular A arms and the car has 5 degrees of caster (or camber whichever) which of course doesn't help matters.
I have jacked up the front of the car and ran the steering stop to stop. The steering wheel turns 4-1/2 turns and the pitman arm travels approx 60 degrees (30 each side of neutral) before the physical stops are hit on the frame.
SO HERE'S THE QUESTION: Why can't I use a short power steering pitman arm when I do the conversion with the long steering arms? I know Pozzi says use long with long and short with short but here's my train of thought: I'm getting full steering travel now (60 degrees) with a short pitman and long steering arms trough 4-1/2 steering wheel turns. I would still get full travel with the power setup using a short pitman arm because the pitman will still travel the 60 degrees in something less than 2.7 turns of the wheel (lock to lock). If I use a long pitman arm it will just be faster and even fewer turns. It just appears that if I use a long pitman arm the whole parallelogram linkage thing will be out of whack. Thoughts?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD

Another caution on the CARDONE boxes. Mine worked for a few months, then I only had PS in one direction. I knew the problem. Once disassembled, one of the o-rings on the spool valve was missing at initial assembly, and all that was there was the glyde ring. It finally blew out of the groove. OK, no problem, I'll just reseal. I had a heck of a time finding the correct input shaft seal, as the one used did not match a Camaro. Not sure what it was from, but a sharp eye auto parts person found the right one. BTW, I did not have to change the rag joint further showing that unknown parts were in this box. The LEE adapters and stock hoses worked perfectly, so far no issues. Now, If can get the pump to stop leaking!!

69 Z-28-Glacier Blue, X-77
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Mark, The way I see it is provided the box doesn't run out of travel before the steering
arms hit their stops then you will be fine. You'll have the same as you currently have only
faster with power assist. It may be too fast leading to over steer but I doubt you will have
a problem unless you're autocrossing. Probably take a few trips around the block to get
accustom to it.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 10:20 AM
Apprentice
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Mark, The way I see it is provided the box doesn't run out of travel before the steering
arms hit their stops then you will be fine. You'll have the same as you currently have only
faster with power assist. It may be too fast leading to over steer but I doubt you will have
a problem unless you're autocrossing. Probably take a few trips around the block to get
accustom to it.
That's how I'm looking at it too. No autocrossing for me! Strictly cruising..
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 04:20 PM
David Pozzi

You can use the short pitman with long outer arms. The only trouble that arises is if the box does not have enough travel. Then the steering arms will not hit the stops on the lower control arms. Some guys have reported this trouble with certain PS boxes. The 12:1 box makes the steering plenty fast for street use with any combo of pitman or outer steering arm.

The 68/69 replacement idler arms are 5.5" long, so the are in the mid length of the short pitman at 5.25" and long pitman at 5.75" To get a 5.75" long idler, you have to go to Rare Parts and get a replacement 67 idler at double the price of a regular idler arm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode