new leaf springs installed--doesnt look right? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

new leaf springs installed--doesnt look right?

I just installed new monoleaf springs (Ridetech composite with Delrin bushings)--1967. Before dropping the car back on the ground:
1. The front spring bolt was torqued to 70 ft lbs (cant leave it loose because it gets tucked up into perch). 2. Rear shackle bolts were left loose 3. The lower spring/shock mounting plate was snugged to keep locator pins in position.

After the car was on the ground: 1.Tightened the spring/shock plate to 55 ft lbs incrementally while alternating the pattern. 3. Rear shackles bolts were torqued to 55 ft lbs.

In the pictures, the outer holes of the lower mounting plates, there is a U bolt on the outside and individual bolts on the inside.

Does the angle look right? Notice the thread length in front bolts is longer than rear bolts.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r

Last edited by jcor12; Dec 14th, 18 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: new leaf springs installed--doesnt look right?

Longer existing thread length may be due to spring perch giving way/being pulled by the bolt head, since the shock plate does not meet perch as OE design - OE spring with pads.
You might check shaft angle at both ends as shim might need installing with thicker end towards the front of car.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 03:02 PM
David Pozzi

It looks good. The U bolts are likely a bit longer than the bolts are. The front eye bolts should be able to be reached with open end wrenches. I was able to do it on my 67.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Longer existing thread length may be due to spring perch giving way/being pulled by the bolt head, since the shock plate does not meet perch as OE design - OE spring with pads.
You might check shaft angle at both ends as shim might need installing with thicker end towards the front of car.
Thanks for the reply. I checked the top spring perch and there is no obvious compression/pull on the metal. On the outer holes there is no bolt head because of the u bolt and that front u bolt has 1/4 inch more thread compared to back u bolt thread. I also re-checked the top mounting plate above the leaf spring and they are both centered.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
It looks good. The U bolts are likely a bit longer than the bolts are. The front eye bolts should be able to be reached with open end wrenches. I was able to do it on my 67.
Thanks David...While the u bolts (outer) are longer than the individual bolts (inner), both front bolts have about 1/4 inch more thread exposed. When I put the u bolts on the housing, the rear was slightly angled down. I wasn't really concerned about ensuring the u bolt was at a 90 degree angle (i.e., centered) to the pinion line. Should I have?

I was thinking the rear housing and/or angles would "settle in" back to stock once the weight of the car was on the suspension before I tightened everything up.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

You want about three degrees on the shaft angle to pinion. Usually point the nose of the rear down 3-7* for leaf spring cars, all depends on the rest of the car though. Tremec makes a mobile app you can check all your angles. I'm not seeing anything wrong from your pictures.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 18, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
You want about three degrees on the shaft angle to pinion. Usually point the nose of the rear down 3-7* for leaf spring cars, all depends on the rest of the car though. Tremec makes a mobile app you can check all your angles. I'm not seeing anything wrong from your pictures.
That's what I was thinking...as long as my angles are good, I should be ok. Thanks for the tip on the app, I just downloaded it. i am going to tighten everything back up, put it back on the ground and measure the angles. My visual observation is that the rear is slightly pointing down as it sits.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode