Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
RYAN

Garage
67 Camaro Ford 9 inch wilwood brake conversion

Hello All,

I just got my new strange ford 9" rear end with 31 spline axles for my 67 Camaro. I put timken A20 bearings on both axles. I then mounted axles in the rear end to measure for some wilwood brakes. My options for brake kits had an axle offset of 2.32" 2.50". I measure my axle offset and they were about 2.65". I thought that was close enough for the brake kit and maybe I could slightly modify something in the future to get them to fit as I knew didn't have the 2.32" version. It turns out the brake kit requires it to be very close to 2.5" as I cannot fit the caliper over the rotor because the hub/rotor sticks out 0.15" too far (2.65" - 2.5"). My bearing is sticking out about an 1/8" which I read is normal so I thought my axles might be a touch too long (I have read many people having this issue) so I trimmed off 1/8". This made no difference to my axle offset. I then measured the inner part of the bearing with where it is suppose to seat on the axle housing (see pics). It seems there is where my length difference is. The inner part of the bearing is much larger then the seating area. My question is did I get the wrong bearing? Any other thoughts on this issue? I am a little confused on how to proceed.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	223285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	223287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	223289  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Re: 67 Camaro Ford 9 inch wilwood brake conversion

The 2.50" brake offset is written in stone. That measurement has to be 2.50 inches if you buy brakes that require a 2.50 brake offset. On my axle, the brake gap was 2.50 inches.

1. One possibility is that the Timkin bearing is not pressed on all the way. On my Currie Cut to Fit Axles, there was a small ridge that was on the axle. The bearing inner race touched the little ridge.

[IMG]currie axle 153 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]currie axle 174 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Another problem could be the Timken bearing is not seated properly in the housing. The outer race should not stick out past its holder. Install some silicon glue between the outer bearing housing and the bearing holder. If you look carefully at mine, you will see my outer bearing race is recessed inside the holder.
[IMG]currie axle 187 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]currie axle 205 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

3. Do you have your rear brakes yet? This problem could go away when you tighten the four bolts that hold the brake assembly to the axle.

Patrick
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 18, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
RYAN

Garage

Hello tp_smith,

I appreciate the detailed reply. Well to keep this reply short I can say that I believe I made a rookie mistake that I recognized thanks to your detailed pictures. My bearing came as one piece (bearing and carrier asssembled) as shown in your first picture. I believe I put in in backward as I have it being tapered into the axle splines. So the carrier part (big part of the taper bearing) is close to the hub and the small part of the tapered bearing is closer to the splines. That made sense to me at the time because the way the steps on the axle flange are designed it would make sense that the smaller end would go first. However, upon reflection, I can see where the carrier is needs to go in first as shown in your very detailed and labeled picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	223291  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 18, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

If you are putting a Ford rear end under a Chevy, you are no rookie.

Well that's not good but not the end of the world. You have to remove the bearing and repress it back on the right direction. You got me worried so I found a photo similar to the one I posted. The bearing direction is the same in both photos.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Curri...nch,25079.html

Anybody tells you they never put anything on backwards is lying. I do it all the time.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
axle, brakes, ford 9", wilwood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode