• 2 Post By allanjs
  • 1 Post By bhodgdon400
  • 3 Post By dhutton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Front suspension help

On my 68 327, I installed CPP UCA's and LCA's, along with 3" Hotchkis Coil Springs, along with generic shocks. The problem is that when I hit the slightest bump in the road, she hits hard. Potholes scare the crap out of me. I was going to pull the trigger on Viking dual adjustable coilovers 450lb set, to replace Springs and shocks, roughly $600. So before I do that, I was hoping for some thoughts on purchasing the Viking setup or better alternatives. Maybe I just need to buy better shocks?

I have heard that with tubular UCA/LCA's there is already some lowering built into them? So combined with the 3" drop Hotchkis springs, it's to much for the average shock to compensate for? As of right now, I have stock exhaust manifolds, but plan on going with long tube headers in the future.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/recommendations.

BH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	223747  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Front suspension help

A room full of engineers at GM designed your suspension to work (compensate for speed bumps or pot holes over a range of seven inches. That means with the suspension at rest you have three and a half inches of suspension travel to dampen any changes in the road surface. What do you suppose will happen when you take away three inches of the designed three and a half inch of compression travel?

If you want a low rider I suggest welding some rebar to the oil pan and other low points and install air bags. Larga vida baja y lenta

Big Dave
Everett#2390 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHog View Post
On my 68 327, I installed CPP UCA's and LCA's, along with 3" Hotchkis Coil Springs, along with generic shocks. The problem is that when I hit the slightest bump in the road, she hits hard. Potholes scare the crap out of me. I was going to pull the trigger on Viking dual adjustable coilovers 450lb set, to replace Springs and shocks, roughly $600. So before I do that, I was hoping for some thoughts on purchasing the Viking setup or better alternatives. Maybe I just need to buy better shocks?

I have heard that with tubular UCA/LCA's there is already some lowering built into them? So combined with the 3" drop Hotchkis springs, it's to much for the average shock to compensate for? As of right now, I have stock exhaust manifolds, but plan on going with long tube headers in the future.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/recommendations.

BH
Just FYI: Best deal i've found on the Vikings is Matt's Classic Bowties

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Or taller bump stops, or better yet, skid plate(s)/rails underneath.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
Al

John, Lay underneath the car and have someone carefully cycle the suspension so you
can see what's hitting. You may be bottoming out the shock travel if the car is lowered
a bunch. Might also be it's hitting the bump stops or the suspension is just so stiff it can't
cycle. When you changed the control arms did you tighten the bolts with the car on the
ground so the control arms were at ride height ? I wouldn't buy a thing until you identify
the problem(s).
dhutton and Chevy68 like this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 09:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

i can't speak to other options but i installed the Viking DA coil overs a few years back and couldn't be happier. the difference in ride quality was night and day. you may be able to get away with different shocks with your current set up but as you alluded too earlier, i think your LCA's probably have some drop built in to them and once you coupled that with the 3" drop (very aggressive as far as lowering springs go) you might be out of room.

go with the Viking set up and you'll be happy. best of both worlds on ride quality and ride height adjustability
Just 1 More likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
Don

As stated above it makes zero sense to throw parts at a problem before you understand the source of the problem....

First thing I would check is how much compression travel is left in the shock at ride height. Then check your LCA bump stops, assuming you have them.

Don
allanjs, Chevy68 and Just 1 More like this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 11:12 AM
John

Garage

The CPP Tubulars are designed with a 2” drop. If you also installed 3” drop coil springs you’re talking 5” total drop.

My guess is you’re bottom out the shocks and/or hitting the stops.

You’re Shocks should be approx at center of travel when installed whether using coil springs or coil overs.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 01:00 PM
Team Member
Darin

I don't know about your CPP arms, but I was pretty close to the lower stock height bump stops (like posted above) on my 3" Hotchkis drop with Global West arms.

No bottoming issues,my suspension is pretty stiff compared to stock,but thats kinda what I like for my driving,
I also haven't hit a pot hole yet either.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode