8.2" rear end? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

8.2" rear end?

Is the tube width 3"?

If I previously measured right the center/center (front to back) leaf spring/shock mount bolts are 3.5" apart. The U bolts used to add lowering blocks show a 3.75" center/center width. I see I do need to drill out the upper axle housing leaf spring plate and the lower shock mount plate holes to 1/2" as they appear to be "slightly" smaller than 1/2" stock. Would the larger 1/2" hole then make the C/C spacing 3.75"?

...I know I could measure but recent abdominal surgery I can't lift anything over 10 lbs for awhile .....but I can shop for parts online :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 09:14 AM
Team Member
Eric

Garage
Re: 8.2" rear end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Is the tube width 3"?)
My 8.2 diff is 3.00" OD

1968 Standard Coupe, LS1, T56
2007 Tahoe, Z71, Cold Air & Tune
2001 Silverado, Z71, TSP Cam, Cold Air & Tune
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Changing the hole size has nothing to do with changing the c/c distance.
You would have to slot the holes.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Changing the hole size has nothing to do with changing the c/c distance.
You would have to slot the holes.
I am sure I am not the first to use lowering leaf spring blocks on a 67 8.2". For those who have, did you need to "oval" out the stock bolt holes to accommodate the 3" U bolt used to install them?

I am just going by what the published ID and C/C measurements of the U bolts from the supplier of blocks/hardware (Speedway) for their 3" axle housing U bolts. This is the note for the U bolts involved:

"Notes
Center to center of threaded end width is 3.685" with the inside to inside working width of 3.185"

My current measurement has C/C at 3.5"...although that is with a tape measure vs caliper so perhaps I am off by the .185" with my measurement....

I get I need to enlarge the stock hole size of the upper/lower rear spring plates to accommodate the slightly larger 1/2" U bolt size

So for those who use blocks, is this a plug and play or is some "elongation" of the stock hole positions required??
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I just measured mine and the c/c of the bolts is indeed 3.5". I also drew this in cad using
Speedways dimensions. An 11/16" hole would be required. Other wise a 1/2" hole and then
remove (slot) about .10. It will be interesting to see what others have done in this situation.
I'm betting drilled 1/2" hole and hammered/squeezed the u-bolt into position.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
I just measured mine and the c/c of the bolts is indeed 3.5". I also drew this in cad using
Speedways dimensions. An 11/16" hole would be required. Other wise a 1/2" hole and then
remove (slot) about .10. It will be interesting to see what others have done in this situation.
I'm betting drilled 1/2" hole and hammered/squeezed the u-bolt into position.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. My tape measure was correct at 3.5" then

Yeah possibly "persuade" the U bolt by either compressing it together some (vice) and use some persuasion to put them through the top plate then bottom

I would think several have done lowering blocks before

Of course there is just going with a new "lowering" leaf spring....

Only lowering blocks I find are universal vs car specific but the block itself is the size of leaf and 5" wide to which is correct size

Ideally someone will reply as to how they did it but I suspect a 1/2" hole and a BFH is the method

Maybe there is also a U bolt the size of the stock holes... which I have yet to find

Again thanks for the CAD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You're welcome. Back in the day when I worked on these cars and others for a living
we had a local shop that custom made u-bolts for us as needed. The common use was
adding leafs to a pickup truck. If you have a local truck or spring shop. They should be
able to help. I just hate forcing parts to fit if avoidable.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Here you go. All kinds of choices at 3-1/16" width. I'm sure there's many other sellers.
1/2 Diameter Round Bend U-bolts - Stengel Bros Inc.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

allanjs, I owe you a beer at least. Really appreciate the help. Only thing I can do now is lay here recovering from my surgery and hit the keyboard so again really appreciate the research

So I went through their site and they make several different U bolts. Even 7/16 which I believe is the size of the stock holes. I don't think they are 3/8" but even if they were they make that size also and all for the same $ as the 1/2" "universal" ones that come in block kits.

I think this 7/16" one is the ticket but I will need to confirm bolt size hole of my stock set up first

https://www.stengelbros.net/5U-056R-...s_p_13425.html

Thanks again

Roger
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Roger, You are correct the t-bolts are 7/16-20. From the top of the axle tube to
the bottom end of the t-bolts measures ~4-3/4". That's without lowering blocks.
Add to that the lowering blocks plus I would add an additional 1/4" or so. With
3 leaf springs I only have about 2 threads showing. They use extra length lock
nuts (nylock) so a bunch of extra thread isn't needed and I think looks tacky.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Al

Thanks for confirming base measurement & bolt size. I agree, also do not like long exposed threas after fastener. If that would occur I would just cut it down.

So starting with the 4 3/4" base:

4 3/4"
2" spacer
1/2" Pinion Angle spacer (1/4 on one end)
1/2" leaf (single)
1/8" Rubber spring isolator

That's 7 7/8"

...and they just happen to have that EXACT length :-)
https://www.stengelbros.net/5U-058R-...s_p_13436.html

This size U bolt is 3 1/2" C/C so no drilling required....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 01:31 AM
David Pozzi

I would delete the rubber pads. They allow the axle to rock back & forth too much, especially when using a drop spacer. Iíve always had to squeeze in the 1/2Ē U bolt ends to make them fit through the holes.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
I would delete the rubber pads. They allow the axle to rock back & forth too much, especially when using a drop spacer. Iíve always had to squeeze in the 1/2Ē U bolt ends to make them fit through the holes.
I was planning on using the Energy Suspension pads vs rubber. They are considerably more dense than rubber

https://www.jegs.com/i/Energy-Suspen...6113G/10002/-1

Fortunately 7/16" U bolts are available so won't need to "adjust" for 1/2" ones. The stock holes in the axle housing/shock mount plates are 7/16" so drilling, at a minimum, would be required if going with 1/2" U bolts.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 19, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am installing Pinon shim with the lower block. Does the thick end go forward to bring the nose of the rear end down?

Put shim under or on top of lowering block?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-...l?sku=916433-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode