Pinion Angle shims needed for lowering blocks? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pinion Angle shims needed for lowering blocks?

I am planning on lowering the rear 2 to 2 1/2" (blocks come in various sizes)

For those who have installed them, did you use angled shims to restore DL/Pinion angle?

Like these

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-...l?sku=916433-2

or did you shim tranny mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 11:37 AM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Pinion Angle shims needed for lowering blocks?

I've shimmed both.

Right now I just have a 1/4" spacer at the trans. mount.

Adding angle shims will add a little to your lowering block drop also,so take that into account when your adding blocks.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yeah the wedge shim would add some to the block height. I was going 2 1/2" block but would likely do 2" if using the shim.

Raising housing 2"+ would have to effect DL angle so you would want to nose pinion down to compensate and or raise rear of tranny

I did a auto to T56 swap on my Impala (96) which was never made as a stick car by GM. DL angle was what I had to restore. Used 2 GM shims (1/4" total) under tranny to bring DL angle back to what it was as a automatic car

I would think several people have done lowering blocks with leaf so ideally they can share some 411

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

You can also get blocks with some angle built in. Use the Tremec mobile app to get everything dialed in.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 19, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

to lower the nose of the pinion when adding lowering block, does the thick side go forward or back?

under or above the lowering block?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-...l?sku=916433-2
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 19, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Thick end of shim to the rear to point pinion nose down. Most guys suggest to get 2 additional shims and install them on the bottom side with the thick end the other way to keep the "spring pack" parallel.

I suggest you do yourself a favor and measure your driveline angles before you make any changes incase you end up with any issues. Lower the car then recheck your angles and adjust from there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 19, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnide View Post
Thick end of shim to the rear to point pinion nose down. Most guys suggest to get 2 additional shims and install them on the bottom side with the thick end the other way to keep the "spring pack" parallel.

I suggest you do yourself a favor and measure your driveline angles before you make any changes incase you end up with any issues. Lower the car then recheck your angles and adjust from there.
If using the shims do they go on top, or under the lowering block?

I assume top

10/4 on measuring DL angle pre and post lowering block install. Familiar with the process. It very well may be not ideal now so I was going to check that anyway.

It's a 2" drop and IDK yet if I will even need the shims but ordered them in case I do when installing the 2" lowering
block

I have single spring leaf

Last edited by SoCal805; Jan 8th, 19 at 08:10 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 19, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would put the shim on top of the lowering block, that way the angle of the shim tilts the rear end without tilting the block which would move the rear forward as well as tilting it.

I actually made my own lowering blocks with the angle milled on the top for that same reason.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 19, 07:11 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

I'm not sure why you're adding shims as these would change the pinion angle. When I put my 4 link in, I measured the angle of the transmission output shaft and set the pinion so they were at the same angle. This is how they set the angle from the factory, so if you had a shim in the original, I would think you'd still need one with lowering blocks. Lowering blocks are rectangular, so shouldn't change the pinion angle. They change the height of the pinion instead, so your driveshaft might end up being a bit too long.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 19, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lowered View Post
I'm not sure why you're adding shims as these would change the pinion angle. When I put my 4 link in, I measured the angle of the transmission output shaft and set the pinion so they were at the same angle. This is how they set the angle from the factory, so if you had a shim in the original, I would think you'd still need one with lowering blocks. Lowering blocks are rectangular, so shouldn't change the pinion angle. They change the height of the pinion instead, so your driveshaft might end up being a bit too long.
Assuming my DL angle is in spec now, I will still measure it and see and use that 411 as a base to compare what it will be when I "lift" the rear axle housing (pinion) to lower the car

My understanding is when you move the rear end up/down for any reason, like lowering block, that changes the rear pinion angle and thus its comparison to the tranny/yoke angle. If without a shim I am good, fine I was just assuming though that a 2" lift of the rear end would change the DL angle

I will measure with just the blocks and see. If I need to get the pinion nose down some because it was raised, the shims will do that.
Chevy68 likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

UPDATE:

Installed 2" blocks with a 2 degree Pinon shim. DL angle is good and no vibes at 90 mph

Doing RideTech coils up front for a 1 1/2" drop. Also A arm bushings. All other front suspension has been replaced (Moog)

Car was stupid high in back so needed a little more drop in back than front

Stengel Bros. U bolts were plug & play, no drilling, 7/16" x 3 1/16" x 7 7/8"

Used Energy Suspension leaf spring isolators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode