Total Suspension Help Needed - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Total Suspension Help Needed

I am looking where to start to completely re-work the suspension on my 67 Camaro. I totally hate how it is now and I am ready to sell it and move on to modern machine. After I relaxed a bit I thought I would ask for some help on what to do to make my car drive decently.

Currently the car has a 388 with a Tremec 5 speed, small disc brakes all around and stock suspension with a sway bar and a quick ratio steering box. The rear is a 8.5 out of a Nova with 3.73 and 2 inch lowering multi leaf. I have 17x7 on the front with 235 tires and 17x9.5 on the rear with 275's. The rear of the car is too low and rubs on the tires.

Last year I took the car to Bandimere Speedway for a quarter mile run, I knew it was going to be bad. I ran a 16.3 at 105mph. The car jumped so bad off the line I thought I was going to self destruct.

The car does not brake like I thought it would, vibrates all over the place on the highway and overall is not very fun to drive. I pretty much do not drive the car because it is really not fun to drive.

Before I do something crazy and sell it I wanted to see what I can do.

I have about 20K to spend upgrading parts with the suspension and brakes. What should I spend the money on and what parts? Do I need to dump the rear end as well?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

First of all comparison is the thief of all happiness so do yourself a favor and dont compare the car to something modern. The comparison should be to other 60s & 70s muscle cars which didnt drive that great compared to large sedans of the same period.
My 69 is pretty close to stock suspension wise it with hotchkiss shocks and urethane bushings throughout. Rear multileafs with rubber bushings.
The ride is much better than stock but I still want a better ride so I'm looking at dual adjustable shocks front & rear and different rear springs(global west L16) and different upper control arms with better geometry built in.
Before I spend a dime I'm going to call DSE, Ride Tech ect and see what they recommend. They have some nice systems as well and have invested heavily in R&D. Still won't be a modern car feel.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Total Suspension Help Needed

I agree with Travis, don't compare a 1st gen with modern technology. There are some things
that are just inherent with 1st gen suspension and steering. Rear steer is probably the worst
with bump steer causing over/under steer in corners. Ever drive a 2nd gen (front steer) ?
Night and day difference. Heavier duty spindles, better geometry, better weight distribution,etc.
With a $20k budget you can change out the complete sub frame if you want. 1st gens weren't
designed to have meaty large diameter tires. Short of changing out the sub look into Ridetech
Street Grip and Tru Turn upgrade packages. Spendy but with your budget............
https://www.ridetech.com/application...lecars/camaro/

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 11:43 AM
John

Garage

I would use the Ridetech Street Grip package. Add wilwood brakes and 17”-18” wheels with a good tire. Can all be done for way under $10k

It will drive great but If you’re looking for it to drive and handle like a new car buy a new car.

Example the Optima Street Challange. Full custom built Protour Track cars and you have a new stock Vette there running better times.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; Jan 12th, 19 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys going to go with the Ride Tech complete front and rear set up, new Moser 12 bolt and big brakes.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
The car jumped so bad off the line I thought I was going to self destruct.
The car does not brake like I thought it would, vibrates all over the place on the highway and overall is not very fun to drive.
I have bone stock 60's cars that do not do what you describe and do not vibrate all over the place at highway speeds. A friend owns nearly fifty classics and none of them do that. Sounds like there is something wrong with how your car was upgraded and built.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode