69 Brake line routing - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ryan

69 Brake line routing

Sorry for the long post, but I have a lot of questions about something that seemed like a simple job when I started lol. I've been searching around the forums and online, but cannot seem to find a good diagram or set of pictures for brake line routing. I've started from a bare subframe, and I think I'm getting close to having everything I need for replacement.

I ordered a pre-bent brake line kit from CPP and I have the MC, prop valve and booster installed. Since when I bought the car, it was just a bare shell I don't have any old lines to look at so see how it all was done. I think I have the front lines kind of, roughed in to position, and I also think I have the correct sub frame brackets coming in this week, the ones I ordered last week don't seem to line up with the pre-bent line kit I ordered. I've seen two difference kinds online, the kind that mount on the top side of the subframe (which the lines don't seem to match up with) and the "L" shaped ones that mount on the sides of the subframe (see pic below).

So, I think I will have the front lines figured out when the brackets come in, but my real question is on the rear end. I have a Ford 9" rear end, and everything I've found to mount the rear flex hose is for factory stuff like 10 or 12 bolt rear ends. Now, I didn't think this would be a big deal, because I was just going to fab my own little bracket to mount over one of the studs on the rear end housing. BUT, the bolts aren't long enough to just put a little piece of steel and a second nut on. Can I mount my little tab under the original bolt and just torque that bolt down or would that mess with the quality of the seal I have for the rear end? I was thinking about just adding some RTV to the fab'd tab and calling it good? If not, what are my other options?

Next, the brake line kit from CPP had four brake lines in it, the two I have left to install are pictured below. I feel like I am missing one? If I am not mistaken, one of them would run from the prop valve to the flex hose that would mount to the rear dif. But then that would only leave me one line, which wouldn't make sense because I would need one to go from each rear caliper into the flex line on the rear dif. If I am missing one, can someone link me what I would still need to order to complete this? I currently don't have the tools to bend & flare custom lines. I haven't really looked into how much those tools would cost.

If anyone has some pictures laying around of the routing of the brake lines and maybe where the clips etc bolt in I would appreciate it! If I forgot to mention this is a 4 wheel disc job.

Thank you for your help and sorry again for the long post! I will also add in some pictures of what I have going with the front brake lines, I have the brackets that I believe are the wrong ones for the flex line to hard lines mounted in the pictures, but any guidance on that as well will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_124707.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	224133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_120738.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	224135   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_123914.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	224137  

Name:	20190120_123937.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	224139  

69 Camaro SS, restomod, 350 SBC M-LT9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ryan

Re: 69 Brake line routing

Sorry, all the pictures posted sideway

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Is it possible that the two long lines both go to the rear. That what it looks like to me. Looks like the ones that have the valve under the drivers seat area.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 12:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

You don't need a flex line for the rear calipers if they are the fixed type. A floating caliper requires a flex line. Adding a flex line is nice because you can hang the caliper with a coat hanger as you service the brakes.

You could weld little metal tabs to the rear end and just bend the metal over the brake tube to hold it in place. That is the way my old GM axle was made.

I made little rectangle pieces of metal and welded a nut on the back side. I welded the metal to the rear end. The nut allowed me to use a screw and clamp to hold the brake line.

Post 203:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-b...photos-14.html

Below is link to my old subframe. The old brake lines are still in place. They are the ones with the rock guards on the tubing. The brakes are drum but the photos might help.
Post 218
https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-b...post1783092807

Patrick
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 02:14 PM
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussell69SS View Post
Sorry for the long post, but I have a lot of questions about something that seemed like a simple job when I started lol. I've been searching around the forums and online, but cannot seem to find a good diagram or set of pictures for brake line routing. I've started from a bare subframe, and I think I'm getting close to having everything I need for replacement.

There are pretty good diagrams in the Factory assembly manual

I ordered a pre-bent brake line kit from CPP and I have the MC, prop valve and booster installed. Since when I bought the car, it was just a bare shell I don't have any old lines to look at so see how it all was done. I think I have the front lines kind of, roughed in to position, and I also think I have the correct sub frame brackets coming in this week, the ones I ordered last week don't seem to line up with the pre-bent line kit I ordered. I've seen two difference kinds online, the kind that mount on the top side of the subframe (which the lines don't seem to match up with) and the "L" shaped ones that mount on the sides of the subframe (see pic below).

The front lines look ok other than the crossover line seems a little tweaked. Mine fit almost perfectly and there are three clips across the rear of the crossmember that hold it down as well as one on each side of the top of the frame rail. Also, there is a bracket that mounts on the left frame rail which has a rubber and sheet metal isolator to hold the two lines together before they head to the distribution block.

So, I think I will have the front lines figured out when the brackets come in, but my real question is on the rear end. I have a Ford 9" rear end, and everything I've found to mount the rear flex hose is for factory stuff like 10 or 12 bolt rear ends. Now, I didn't think this would be a big deal, because I was just going to fab my own little bracket to mount over one of the studs on the rear end housing. BUT, the bolts aren't long enough to just put a little piece of steel and a second nut on. Can I mount my little tab under the original bolt and just torque that bolt down or would that mess with the quality of the seal I have for the rear end? I was thinking about just adding some RTV to the fab'd tab and calling it good? If not, what are my other options?

Next, the brake line kit from CPP had four brake lines in it, the two I have left to install are pictured below. I feel like I am missing one? If I am not mistaken, one of them would run from the prop valve to the flex hose that would mount to the rear dif. But then that would only leave me one line, which wouldn't make sense because I would need one to go from each rear caliper into the flex line on the rear dif. If I am missing one, can someone link me what I would still need to order to complete this? I currently don't have the tools to bend & flare custom lines. I haven't really looked into how much those tools would cost.

If anyone has some pictures laying around of the routing of the brake lines and maybe where the clips etc bolt in I would appreciate it! If I forgot to mention this is a 4 wheel disc job.

Thank you for your help and sorry again for the long post! I will also add in some pictures of what I have going with the front brake lines, I have the brackets that I believe are the wrong ones for the flex line to hard lines mounted in the pictures, but any guidance on that as well will be greatly appreciated!
The crossover front brake line has three clips for the back of the cross member and there are two more on top of the frame rails. There is also a bracket on the left frame rail which has a rubber and sheet metal isolator to hold the two front lines secure prior to heading to the distribution block. The Factory Assembly Manual has pretty good drawings of all these items.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Is it possible that the two long lines both go to the rear. That what it looks like to me. Looks like the ones that have the valve under the drivers seat area.
Okay, so I finally got myself an assembly manual to look at some pictures, and also had a buddy come over and look at it, but I still think I am missing some parts. The shorter one hooks into my proportioning valve, runs down and around the subframe, that one seems okay, but the angle seems a little off with the way the line is bent and the angle of the prop valve.

The longer one I'm still at a bit of a loss on. Is there supposed to be a second prop valve under the driver's seat or does the one attached to the booster handle it all? I feel like there are definitely more parts that I need to order to complete the brake lines. With the lines that I have, it does seem like there needs to be something to connect the two lines underneath the driver's seat area, maybe a second valve or some kind of block that connects the two? If so, could someone link what I'd need?

So now, lets say I get whatever I need to connect those two lines I have left, that would run me to the rear dif. I bought a flex hose to connect hard lines to so I can run a line to each caliper's flex line. So, I'd still need those two lines-- would this be what I need: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...t/model/camaro

I guess I'd also assume I need a couple brackets to mount the caliper flex lines to the hard lines, similar to those on the front? Any links to buy what I need would be awesome! Finally, I know ill need to make some tabs or something to hold the lines against the rear end, but any alternatives to welding them on? I'm sure the right answer is just weld it and paint over it because you won't really see it, but the powder coat is so pretty hah! Again, this feels harder than it should be but that you so much for your help!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 05:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

This is the valve under the car by the drivers seat. If you don't want to weld the tabs on the rear end, late model GM trucks have a zip tie like bracket to hold the lines. Second pic is the bracket that holds the center rear hose for the rear end
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-58-11_1548809916130.png
Views:	29
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	224395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-29-20-01-30_1548810108349.png
Views:	7
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	224397  

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ryan

I am assuming that bracket will be different or have to mount a different way if i have a Ford 9" underneath?

Last edited by Mussell69SS; Jan 29th, 19 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 03:29 AM
John

Garage

Classic Performance Brake Hose Mounting Tab Kits RBHTK

These work nicely without welding

http://www.classicperform.com/Instru.../PDF/RBHTK.pdf

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ryan

Thank you! I just ordered a rear brake line kit, second valve and the CPP brake line tab kit to finish this off then. Hopefully this should get me very close if not done.

Last edited by Mussell69SS; Jan 31st, 19 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode