2Likes
  • 1 Post By 68lowered
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Which upgraded front swaybar?

Which one? I have tubular A-arms, Pro-forged BJ's and Viking coil overs w/550# springs.
Just another pro tour wannbe street cruiser

They seem to range from 1", 1.125, 1.250 to 1.5"
Range from $145.99 (Summit) to $525.00 (Ridetech)
Would I really notice any difference between a 1.5" Ridetech muscle bar for $525 and a Summit 1.125 for $146 ???

Hollow or solid

Ride Tech Muscle bar $525
Eibach $295
Hotchkis $286
Heidts $267
DSE $260
Global West $236
QA1 $224
Hellwig $199
BMR $199
Summit Racing $146

All prices are from the Summit web site

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 09:44 AM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage
Re: Which upgraded front swaybar?

I can't see the Ridetech bar being any better than those from Hotchkis, GW, QA1....Thanks for posting. I have an Airride suspension and was trying to figure out what to do. The rear one, I likely don't have a choice, but any of these front bars will save me a lot....
Just 1 More likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 10:56 AM
John

Garage

The 1 1/2” will be too stiff. They also make an 1 1/8” which would be better for $350.

All will work about the same. I like Hotchkiss
Just 1 More likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The 1 1/2” will be too stiff. They also make an 1 1/8” which would be better for $350.

All will work about the same. I like Hotchkiss
Most look like 1 1/8" , I can't imagine there's much, if any, performance difference between the Summit 1 1/8" for $146 and the DSE 1 1/8" for $260

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I went with Hotchkis front (& rear) swaybars… and I'm happy with them.

Great products.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

There seems to be no way of telling which sway bar is the best. Of course the diameter matters but what about the quality of steel used to make it? One sway bar could be made of from scrap steel, another one could be made from cold rolled steel, the last one made from spring steel etc. Who would know if it is any good until you buy it and use it for a year or two?

Patrick
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
There seems to be no way of telling which sway bar is the best. Of course the diameter matters but what about the quality of steel used to make it? One sway bar could be made of from scrap steel, another one could be made from cold rolled steel, the last one made from spring steel etc. Who would know if it is any good until you buy it and use it for a year or two?
Very true, but, who has that kind of time and money? So, i'm relying on others real world experiences with the ones they've used.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 03:37 PM
David Pozzi

In a hollow bar, I like a 1 1/8" OD X .156 wall. Hotchkis, Speed Tech have them. The Hellwig hollow version is 1 1/8" x .188" wall which is a bit stiffer for use with stock rate springs. All the hollow bars I know of are cold bent seamless tube and not heat treated, but they work fine. The Hellwig solid bars are Chrome Molly heat treated. I'd consider a 1" solid version close to the 1 1/8" hollow bars, maybe a bit softer. Some others are also hollow but I don't have info on them.

The Ride Tech bar has formed billet arms so it's more expensive to make. I dont' know the rate. It may mount further forward and have longer arms so needs to be thicker to achieve the same rate as the others. I'm not sure.

You can run a front bar only on the street but you will have some understeer. An adjustable rear bar is needed to get a perfect balance for autocross. If you consider a rear bar, get the rear bar from the same place as the front so you have a matched pair. If your rear tires are wider than the fronts, then you need a rear bar even more.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
John

Been very happy with my Addco! Great price too!

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
In a hollow bar, I like a 1 1/8" OD X .156 wall. Hotchkis, Speed Tech have them. The Hellwig hollow version is 1 1/8" x .188" wall which is a bit stiffer for use with stock rate springs. All the hollow bars I know of are cold bent seamless tube and not heat treated, but they work fine. The Hellwig solid bars are Chrome Molly heat treated. I'd consider a 1" solid version close to the 1 1/8" hollow bars, maybe a bit softer. Some others are also hollow but I don't have info on them.

The Ride Tech bar has formed billet arms so it's more expensive to make. I dont' know the rate. It may mount further forward and have longer arms so needs to be thicker to achieve the same rate as the others. I'm not sure.

You can run a front bar only on the street but you will have some understeer. An adjustable rear bar is needed to get a perfect balance for autocross. If you consider a rear bar, get the rear bar from the same place as the front so you have a matched pair. If your rear tires are wider than the fronts, then you need a rear bar even more.
Thanks David, my plan for the rear is going to be a TCI torque arm set up so not real sure how the swaybars will play out .. but, for now, i'm going with the DSE 1 1/8" for the front..

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I took Davids advice a year or so ago and went with with the Hellwig 1.125" hollow type. Big block, Helix uppers/lowers, ProForged BJs, tall uppers, currently Hotchkis 2" drop coils. Love the handling improvement, especially the lack of heavy leaning with the OEM bar.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode