67 camaro suspension - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

67 camaro suspension

What's up guru's, haven't posted in awhile. I have a mono leaf setup in the rear and i ordered small block springs in the front, which are installed for 2 years now. I just removed my KYB excel twin tube gas shocks ($25-$30 each). Is this a normal stance for my ride height. Wheels are 17" front (225/45) rear (255/40). Now I know the rear tires are small, not my issue right now, it's the ride height, also I'm not building a race car, just a cruiser/commuter. Contemplating on some QA1 coil overs in the front and QA1 shocks in the rear. I was going to drop it 2" all the way around, but I'm not trying to remove my oil pan by accident... lol.

Last edited by Cisco79; Mar 1st, 19 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: 67 camaro suspension

Looks fairly normal (stock) to me. There's factory height dimensions listed in the assembly manual. Would you prefer it setting higher or lower ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Looks fairly normal (stock) to me. There's factory height dimensions listed in the assembly manual. Would you prefer it setting higher or lower ?
I wanted to know if there were some shocks i can get that weren't so stiff. I've read that QA1 is the way to go, coil over in the front and the rear a QA1 basic shock assembly. I removed the KYB Excel's because there was literally no movement in the suspension. The KYB's are brand new, when I removed the front it was stiff still, but the rear i can bounce the car like a basketball. When before it was impossible. I'm thinking I ordered the wrong shocks. Ride height is ok I guess, I just don't want to go too low.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 03:00 PM
David Pozzi

Take a look at the Ride Tech Street Grip package. It rides and drives great and is tuned for street use.
If you are just looking for shocks, the Bilstein shocks are cheap and ride well on the street. They are gas charged so push the car up a little. I've seen the rear raise 1/2" switching from std shocks to gas shocks. The front doesn't respond that much because the shocks have poor leverage over the wheels.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

KYB Excel is an OE style stock replacement. The KYB "Gas-A-Just" are much firmer (too stiff!). I replaced my G-A-J with Excel and like it a lot better. I have multi-leaf in the rear and can push it down maybe an inch or so, whereas no movement at all with the GAJ shocks.

Is this what you have ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-EXCEL-G...Guwb:rk:1:pf:0

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Feb 18th, 19 at 03:23 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Take a look at the Ride Tech Street Grip package. It rides and drives great and is tuned for street use.
If you are just looking for shocks, the Bilstein shocks are cheap and ride well on the street. They are gas charged so push the car up a little. I've seen the rear raise 1/2" switching from std shocks to gas shocks. The front doesn't respond that much because the shocks have poor leverage over the wheels.
I measured my current ride height "without" shocks. The lowest point on the car are the exhaust pipes, about 5 inches off the ground. I guess the main reason for this thread was if QA1 coil overs are worth the money. And has anyone had any issues with them? If I lower the car I'll be using "The right stuff" drop spindle kit, and 2" lowering blocks in the rear.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
KYB Excel is an OE style stock replacement. The KYB "Gas-A-Just" are much firmer (too stiff!). I replaced my G-A-J with Excel and like it a lot better. I have multi-leaf in the rear and can push it down maybe an inch or so, whereas no movement at all with the GAJ shocks.

Is this what you have ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-EXCEL-G...lineimg" />f:0
I got a set from summit, they're not gas-a-just, just excel.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

The Excel G's shouldn't be considered stiff. As mentioned, they're just a stock replacement.

Just for the heck of it, I'd suggest loosening the lower control arms and rear shackles, then bouncing the car. A lot of times builders (restorers) torque them down before the car is fully assembled. This should be done after the FULL weight of the car is on the springs.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I run the QA-1s up front with Global West A-Arms and like them although they are a little hard to adjust. My memory might fail me but I "suspect" I left out the torrington bearings that make adjustment easier.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
The Excel G's shouldn't be considered stiff. As mentioned, they're just a stock replacement.

Just for the heck of it, I'd suggest loosening the lower control arms and rear shackles, then bouncing the car. A lot of times builders (restorers) torque them down before the car is fully assembled. This should be done after the FULL weight of the car is on the springs.
I'll try loosening the lower control arms, I might have tighten those with subframe off the ground. The rear bounces well without shocks, but when I put the shocks on, it's really stiff.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
I run the QA-1s up front with Global West A-Arms and like them although they are a little hard to adjust. My memory might fail me but I "suspect" I left out the torrington bearings that make adjustment easier.
I want to keep the stock control arms, just use the single adjustment QA's. Tubular is pretty, but I'm not racing the car.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

My tire size is bugging me now... it's actually causing the illusion of the car being lifted... stock camaro tires are 25.5". Building an old school is such a pain in the arse. Thank you all for the help!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

OP

Stock height with 14" or 15" rims left quite a gap between tire and wheel well. Few ways to "adjust the stance".

Larger rims & tires

Lower car

Combination of the 2 but that gets very expensive

Larger tires & rims will fill the wheel well but also keep the car height high

Lowering can be done with drop spindles, springs or coil overs up front.

Lowering leaf springs, blocks or coil overs in the rear

FWIW I have a 25.6" rear tire and a 24.7" front tire on 14" rims. Had, in my opinion, a lot of space between tire and wheel well. I used RideTech lowering springs up front and 2" blocks in the rear

Pics of before, black wall tires. After, raised white letter tires

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

I like that SoCal805. Appreciate the information. The stance looks perfect on your car, pretty much what im looking for.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:

Garth is correct. I got a 2" drop loosening up all the new components on the RS front end with the weight of the car on the ground. If it gets tightened in the air, it won't settle down like it should.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode