No Brakes??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

No Brakes???

Converted a 69 to power front Disc brakes, 10 bolt to 12 bolt. All components are new. Bench bleed the MC, bled all 4 wheels. Pedal feels good until the engine is running, pedal goes to the floor. Short rod with a shallow MC, good vac to the booster, lines off the MC, distribution block and pressure valve to the front brakes all leak fluid when opened to check for blockage. I am stumped as is my mechanic. Any ideas what to do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 07:59 PM
John

Garage
Re: No Brakes???

What bore MC?

Is the rod in the lower hole on the brake pedal?

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

What kind of front calipers? Is the bleed valve on top of the caliper? If the bleeder is facing down the calipers won't bleed properly. Sounds like you still have air in the system somewhere.
jerry67 and jimnecci like this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Rod is in the lower hole. Calipers are NAPA remans and the bleeder is on top. Now what? Have bled them 3 times and the flow is good with no apparent air.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

MC is a reman from NPD with matching booster. Has a short rod. Bore?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Do you get a firm pedal if you plug the ports on the master? That would be my first troubleshooting step.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

The pedal is firm without the engine running, however, the rear brakes are not holding but the front are. As soon as I start the engine the pedal goes to the floor when applied.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Your problem is possibly the booster. Either its leaking vacuum, or not enough. The other option could be the rear brakes are not adjusted.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
The pedal is firm without the engine running, however, the rear brakes are not holding but the front are. As soon as I start the engine the pedal goes to the floor when applied.
Plug the ports and test. Work your way from there to troubleshoot. Otherwise you are just shotgunning it....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 06:32 AM
Banned
Rob

Personally I would bleed the brakes the old fashioned way 1st. Starting at the back brakes. MC still full of fluid after bleeding?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
All components are new.
Quote:
Did you also install all new brake lines (including all of the rubber brake hoses)?
You might want to look at the rubber brake hose that is located just above the rear axle (or any other rubber brake hose that is also routed to the rear brakes) while someone else depresses the brake peddle with the engine running. See if any of the rubber brake lines appears to be ballooning as the brakes are applied.

There could be some kind of clog (or defect) in one of the rubber hoses that is blocking the fluid pressure from reaching the rear brakes. A similar situation happened to a friend of mine. It turned out to be that one of his front caliper brake hoses was clogged and would expand like a balloon when he hit the brakes... causing the brake peddle to go to the floor.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

The rear end, rebuilt came out of my other car, 1500 miles, and worked fine. All hoses and lines are new. This car was a basket case and everything has been replaced except the roof, 1 door and the subframe! I have being doing this for 40 years and have never had issues as I have had with this one. So I must be missing something. I will take all your advise and go at it again. Maybe it just does not want to be restored! I have 2 weeks to deliver it to the client that I am building it for and the Charlotte autofair car show the first of April. Thanks for all your input. . . let you know the outcome. . . . . .
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Update. Replaced the MBC, re bled the brakes. . . . no change. All that is left is the booster.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 05:46 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Update. Replaced the MBC, re bled the brakes. . . . no change. All that is left is the booster.
You never answered these questions.

Quote:
What bore MC?

Is the rod in the lower hole on the brake pedal?
To me it sounds like you have the wrong bore master cylinder. Should be a 1 1/4"
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

John, I changed the MBC that is 6 months old from a guy that is building a pro street. I got the whole booster,MBC prop valve and pressure valve from him and am changing out piece by piece. The pedal is in the lower hole. What I have left is the prop valve and booster. I re bled the system a half hour ago and 3 wheels are just spitting and the last one the left front pissed about 4 inches, this is after I installed the working MBC, so after I change the prop valve I will bleed the system again. It can only be those things. Well on a positive note I finished the all new interior and it looks great with no real issues. I like the TMI seat covers and foam but not the door panels, I like the PUI better. Oh well you all have a great evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode