ECI Hot Rod Brakes for Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

ECI Hot Rod Brakes for Camaro?

Has anyone used the Engineered Components (ECI) disc brake conversion package that they offer for Camaros? They are supposed to keep the wheel mounting surface in the same location as the stock drums, and the kit uses the stock drum spindle with no modification needed. It uses their own custom billet hub, with GM Camaro/Firebird rear 11 inch rotors, 78-81 Camaro calipers, and standard D52 pads. I like the idea of mostly off the shelf parts that can be picked up at any local parts store if needed, along with the fact that it doesn't push the wheel outboard 5/8" like the stock disc brake rotor does.

Here is a link to them - you have to scroll down for the Camaro kit:

Engineered Components, Inc. - Your One Stop Brake Shop!

Another kit I am considering is the Wilwood 140-10996, which says it only moves the wheel .19" outboard, so that might work as well. The Wilwoods are well known as being a good kit, but I do like the idea of using GM parts. Looking for any input from TC members - thanks!

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: ECI Hot Rod Brakes for Camaro?

Hmmm, I figured someone on TC had used one of these kits.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 10:51 AM
Team Member
Darin

It was popular to put Camaro/nova subs on old trucks hot rods,seems like thats who these guys might cater to, since they're concerned about a real narrow track.

Not saying it's not a good kit, it just may be why none of us have used or heard of them ?

Seems like I hear more about CPP, SSBC or Right Stuff for stock style conversions, You don't like the more main stream guys ?

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
It was popular to put Camaro/nova subs on old trucks hot rods,seems like thats who these guys might cater to, since they're concerned about a real narrow track.

Not saying it's not a good kit, it just may be why none of us have used or heard of them ?

Seems like I hear more about CPP, SSBC or Right Stuff for stock style conversions, You don't like the more main stream guys ?
It's not that I don't "like" the mainstream dealers, its that I am running very tight tire clearance and moving the wheels outboard from the stock drum location will probably cause rubbing issues. As I mentioned in my opening post, the stock style rotors move the wheel mounting surface about 5/8" outboard. I like my 245's on my 67, so switching to a different wheel/tire combo is not an issue. Not real interested in messing around trying to find different offsets on the front wheels either. I suspect that most people using the stock conversion are running a smaller tire up front.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 12:22 PM
John

Garage

If you switch from drum brake spindles to disc brake spindles you will have more option for brakes that do not push the wheels out.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
If you switch from drum brake spindles to disc brake spindles you will have more option for brakes that do not push the wheels out.
John, can you elaborate on that for me? My understanding was that the only difference between the drum spindle and the disc spindle was the thickness of the mounting boss for the backing plate. I think I understand that you might be saying that the extra thickness of the boss on the drum spindle does not allow the rear surface of the rotor to go as far inboard, but both of these kits use a custom bracket that allows the drum spindle to be used. So far I have not seen a conversion kit that uses the stock rotors that doesn't move the wheel outboard by 5/8". If there is one out there that doesn't cost $600 I would love to hear about it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 11:47 AM
Apprentice

Last time I checked the difference between the mounting surface on a drum car vs a factory disc brake was about 1/4". Keeping in mind it's a little bothersome to measure I would allow my measurement at plus/minus 1/16". 5/8" no way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode