XForce Line Wrench - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 69L48Z27

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

XForce Line Wrench

anyone used these "with success" on rounded off frozen brake line fittings?

This stubborn fitting is for the rear soft hose where it meets the hard line

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Piece-Fle...UAAOSwP2FZi0s5

No visible signs of rust but this fitting will not budge. Liquid Wrench, PB, torch.

I have Flare wrench set. The 7/16 is "lose", 3/8 is to small and I don't wont to destroy the fitting. I have filed the faces of the fitting to remove the rounded corners from "previous" owner/mechanics

this XForce tool looks promising

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: XForce Line Wrench

Looks ‘iffy’. Depending on the strength of the loop it may flex quickly and not grip well.

When the flare wrench starts turning and slipping I’ll usually grab small vise grips. Usually I can get it with those. If it screws up the fitting either file it or cut the line and reflare a new tube nut on.
rp930 likes this.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
2004 C5 Vert
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

10mm fit?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Was hoping to avoid surgery. Tough to get flare tool in there

Vice grips have always been the go to, along with penetrating oil, but I can't jet a good perpendicular grip with the vice. small open end or flare wrench I have enough access....but not much leverage. I can combo a box wrench on though for more

Watching the video demo of the Flex Force the size of the tool will work within the space I have. $65 tool, ouch. but my sense is I need some hex head compression tool to get this fitting to break lose

Curious if anyone used this one or similar.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Try a crowfoot line wrench with the proper length extention and an impact gun in reverse. Obviously you can't pull the trigger but just enough to break it loose. Harbor Freight has a cheap set of crowfoots.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
Try a crowfoot line wrench with the proper length extention and an impact gun in reverse.
A flare crowsfoot wrench fits just like a regular flare wrench....but flare wrench slips, at least 7/16" does.

That is why I was looking at something like the Flex Force wrench which "compresses" around the fitting the more pressure you put on it. I can get the leverage with a flare wrench...just the wrench slips so need a tool that will bite on the fitting better than a flare or crowsfoot will

I can buy a 11mm flare to see if it is snug enough to hold or a 10 and file the end until it fits the fitting tight. I was able to restore the fitting to "6 sides hex" using a file so don't want to distort it by using vice grip that I can't get on it at a good angle or mis fitting wrench

The flex wrench is also sold by Snap-On for very high $. Supposedly XForce makes them for Snap-On and this is the same tool...supposedly
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

UPDATE:

The Flex Wrench worked......but I needed to use vice grips on it to compress the end on the fitting as the "leverage" the tool applies itself still was not enough to keep it from spinning on the fitting

Because of the angle/position of this fitting I could not get vice grips on it correctly from a perpendicular angle. The Flex wrench I could and then that tool was easy to get a WAY solid grip from vice grips on it. with a breaker bar added to the Flex Wrench and a 5/8 wrench counter holding the hose it broke free and spun off easily from that point.

Needless to say the hardest line fitting I have ever encountered but got the new rear rubber line in.

Gravity bleeding the brakes
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 10:42 PM
David Pozzi

I have used a pair of vise grip pliers over a flare nut wrench to keep it from expanding. I have a great pair of old flare nut wrenches which are 6 point, not 12 point and they are twice as beefy as any others I've seen.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 19, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

My early 1960's Craftsmans six point line wrenches have never let me down. No China metal in them so they don't flex.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 19, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Here in the north east flex isn’t the issue but rather detoriated (technical term for rusted) 50 year old flare nuts. Flare nuts that are slightly undersized are the ones that spin in the 6pt flare wrenches and round off.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
2004 C5 Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode