Speed Tech Pro Touring LCA Install Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Speed Tech Pro Touring LCA Install Problem

I’m in the process of trying to install these tubular lower control arms, but they don’t fit. The instructions say to spread the pockets to get the bushings to fit, that over the years when the bushings have been replaced that the use of impacts or air ratchets have squeezed the pockets too narrow.

That is not the case with this car. I am basically the second owner of this unmolested original and have been the one who has replaced any parts or removed large components over the years. The original LCA bushings and other front end components were replaced in the late 80s.

This go around, the stock LCAs just slipped right out without any issue, but these new ones will not slide in like they should. I called and talked to one of their tech guys who said that I just need to spread the bushing pockets like the instructions state.

Here’s the problem; the rear pocket is formed by a boxed portion of the subframe and a rear tab, the front pocket is formed by two tabs. The pockets are already wide enough for either of the bushings to slip into, but the spacing between the front and rear bushings is too narrow by 3/16”. So to get the clearance, the rear tab of the front pocket will have to be bent or spread at least a 1/4 inch toward the rear.

Have any of you run into this same problem and had to bend the tabs that far?? Just seems like something is wrong here.

Last edited by racinrod67; Mar 18th, 19 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 06:20 AM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Speed Tech Pro Touring LCA Install Problem

When I installed My Global West arms I remember using a mallet/dead blow and aggressive language.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
When I installed My Global West arms I remember using a mallet/dead blow and aggressive language.
So do all the aftermarket LCAs like Global West, DSE, Hotchkis, Chassis Works, etc. fit so bad that major massaging and bending of the subframe pockets is required?? It looks to me that it would be easier to cut the support tube on these, spread it 1/4 inch and weld it up to get them to fit. Shouldn't have to do that. Then what does that do to the geometry?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 08:49 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Mine fit fine. I'd look for pickup point measurements and see where the problem is... parts or subframe...

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 09:06 AM
Team Member
Darin

The Arms are probably all fine and the same measurement, factory frames just like the body especially after 50yrs are probably all slightly different.
Del-a-lum Control Arm Bushings arent as squishy as the rubber stuff, so I would expect it to be a little tight in even the straightest frame.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 10:50 AM
T.C.

the thing that I have learned over the years is that Car to Car, there are differences. No Robots assembling these cars when they were made. Heck, you have both Front & Rear Bumpstops on LCAs in the same model year!

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 12:45 PM
Team Member
Darin

Id just do like it says in the instructions and spread it until it works.
Or put the stock arms back on if you're uncomfortable with modifying it.

"7. Install the new lower control arm in the reverse order. Because of bushing
variations and over tightening as bushings have been replaced in the past, you
may encounter an overly tight fit. If so, you will need to spread the tabs on the
control arm mounts. The best way to do this is to assemble a ˝ X 4” length of all
thread with 2 nuts and washers inside the mount. Gently tighten the nuts so that
they spread the mount tabs apart. Test fit the arm periodically, as the mounts may
spring back slightly during this process."

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Mine fit fine. I'd look for pickup point measurements and see where the problem is... parts or subframe...
Steve, which control arms do you have? I assume from your profile footer that you are running coil springs up front? The ones I'm working with are the coil over shock models (Camaro Central part #SUS-374).........do you know if they're the same as the coil spring ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode