• 2 Post By CDB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
Installing steering column onto coupler / rag joint

Any advice for this? Should the rag joint be installed onto the steering column first? Or should I install the rag joint onto the steering shaft first? I tried the latter and I barely have any room to work with, let alone fit a torque wrench in there. My engine bay is fully assembled.

Just looking for advice on the easiest way to get this done or route to take with my unwieldy hands.

1969 power steering, original gear box, tilt column, repro rag joint.

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Installing steering column onto coupler / rag joint

If it's like a 67 you'll have to release the steering column and move it towards the inside
of the car for assembly clearance. Install the joint to the steering gear first. Be sure you
time it correctly. There should be a notch milled in the gear shaft that allows the lock bolt
to be inserted. Then slide the column back in and tighten the bolts. Don't be concerned
about using a torque wrench. Just get the nuts tight.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
The steering column is already completely out. If I don’t have to use a torque wrench (the rag joint box came with different measurements for each bolt to use) then I can probably just use a smaller wrench and be fine. I was worried about fitting a torque wrench down in there.

So I’m just going to install the rag joint, then connect the steering column, and tighten the remaining bolts the best I can.
allanjs and french69ssrs like this.

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 09:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Re: Installing steering column onto coupler / rag joint

Hi Clifton

Here is a Post I had Posted to, I did an Upgrade for my P/S Box but also needed to Replace my "Rag Joint" , Has Pics and some Info.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...joint-pic.html

I bought the one from eBay, I used their 36 Spline at the Box End and the Original "40 Spline 3/4" end from My Steering shaft/ Rag Joint end.

Timmy

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode