Team Camaro Tech banner

I had a thought while reading a "Shock Suggestions" post today...

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  53Crestline 
#1 ·
I had a thought while reading a "Shock Suggestions" post today...

A comment came up about the difference between shock part numbers, the year, and then mono-leaf or multi-leaf car...

Mine car is stock; a mono-leaf car. I bought stock Gabriel shocks from Napa(for a mono-leaf car obviously) almost three years ago now, just to make her road-worthy(it had been sitting for 32 years).

Well last summer I made the swap to the three-leaf springs. I'm guessing it's negligible, but...

Should I have gotten different shocks again?

What have others done after doing the mono-to-multi-leaf spring swap?

#2 ·
Re: I had a thought while reading a "Shock Suggestions" post today...

It looks like a multi-leaf shock is a little shorter; has a little over an inch less travel.

Am I sacrificing ride/handling with a shock that has more travel(the mono-leaf shock in a multi-leaf setup)???

#3 ·

I don't think it would matter unless you find your shocks bottoming out or maxing out on extension, and you'd have to be driving pretty crazy for that to happen.
I swapped shocks when I went to 3 leafs because I also bolted on traction bars in place of the lower plates and needed '68 shocks that had a larger diameter lower mount bolt. KYB Gr-2, feel OK for the price. KYB gas-a-justs were too stiff.

#4 ·

I don't experience anything of that nature.
I do occasionally take a set of railroad tracks a little fast than posted to see if anything knocks. Seems a little squishy, like it should be a little tighter, but it rides nice otherwise.

#5 · (Edited)

It's actually NOT the springs that make a difference in the shock part numbers (other than the normal differences between shocks due to options installed and load), but the mounting plates and shock retaining bolt (or stud).

Original mono leaf shocks attached to a plate that used a 7/16-14 x 2.5" bolt, lock washer and nut to retain the shock (as shown in the AIM, UPC 4, Sheet B3, Items 9, 10 and 11), while original multi leaf shocks attached to a plate that used a 1/2-20 stud, lock washer and nut (See picture below). The stud was integral to the shock itself and not serviced separately. (However, similar, but NOT production type studs are available aftermarket).

While there may be minimal travel differences in the shocks themselves, the main difference between the aftermarket mono leaf shock and the aftermarket multi leaf shock is a bushing in the mono leaf shock grommet that the bolt slides through. Remove that bushing and you can use that exact same shock in a multi leaf spring car (or add a bushing and you can use the multi leaf shock in a mono leaf car)!

Ed

Attachments

#6 ·

See what a guy can learn in an afternoon???

That's lights out! Thanks, bertfam! Great piece of info.

#7 ·

I have measured both single leaf and multi leaf shock lengths and they are the same. The lower mounting is different as mentioned above. Mono leaf is double shear with a through bolt and inner steel sleeve in the shock eye, Multi leaf has the stud and single shear mounting. Mono leaf brackets mount the shock a bit lower but the spring pack is thinner than a multi leaf. You may have shock length problems (too short) if you install multi leaf springs and use a mono leaf lower plate.

#8 ·

I mounted my 3-leafs with the original shock mounting plate, but left off one of the rubber leaf spring pads, so the mounting plate sits flush with the bracket on the axle.

I've not noticed anyone who does the swap mention a different shock, and I haven't noticed any odd sounding or harsh clunks from them while driving.

So far so good anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.