2Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton
  • 1 Post By 130fe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Ride height issue

So I have an ls1 t56 swap and didn't like the gap between the fender and tire so i decided to put some lowering springs hotchkis 2" drop. Stock arms with rebuilt bushings... car is bottoming out on most places. long tube headers doesnt help either. what can i do to have the nice gap taller tires? not sure where to go moving forward... I decided to put original springs back on but long like the gap. what are my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: Ride height issue

What’s your ride height at the fender lip? I have hotchkis 2” drop springs on my ‘69 without any bottoming out.

Mine is 24 3/4 inches to the chrome fender lip with 225/60/15 tires.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Don

What is bottoming out? Headers? Oil pan? What headers, oil pan and mounts do you have?

Don
130fe likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
What’s your ride height at the fender lip? I have hotchkis 2” drop springs on my ‘69 without any bottoming out.

Mine is 24 3/4 inches to the chrome fender lip with 225/60/15 tires.
so i tried it with swap with my 2 camaro's 67 & 69
67 bottoms out at muffler, frame, have shorty headers on this one. I cant even slide floor jack was running torque thrust 17 with 225/45/17
69 I can slide floor jack but i would scrape with the long tube headers and cross member for t56 that i modified from a turbo 400 700r cross member. Running 15' rally's 225/60/15 and tried 235/60/15 235 scrapes inner fender when hitting dis. Also with the 69 i took springs out 5 or 6 times and i'm sure the spring is sitting in the hole and the driver side is still lower than the passenger side.
Any help will be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by RaiderNation67; Apr 11th, 19 at 03:45 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

My tire sits about 1/2 inch up into the wheel well.

When I talked to Hotchkis they said the fender lip will be just about the top of the tire with a 225/60/15 and a 2 inch drop spring. If yours is up into the wheel well more then that you might have a 3 inch drop spring or maybe a drop spindle you aren't aware of.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

My 67 also bottomed out with long tube headers. Went to shorty's and was able to tuck the exhaust up nice and tight. Now jut the occasional extra tall speed bump rubs the oil pan.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
My tire sits about 1/2 inch up into the wheel well.

When I talked to Hotchkis they said the fender lip will be just about the top of the tire with a 225/60/15 and a 2 inch drop spring. If yours is up into the wheel well more then that you might have a 3 inch drop spring or maybe a drop spindle you aren't aware of.

I have the hotchkis 19830012 springs I added spacers on each side to rise more, with the 67 installed it raised evenly, when I installed in the 69 camaro driver side sits lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
My 67 also bottomed out with long tube headers. Went to shorty's and was able to tuck the exhaust up nice and tight. Now jut the occasional extra tall speed bump rubs the oil pan.
67 has shorty's but it hit the frame, pipes/mufflers. I just bought some mog 6308 and Ill see if this ma
69 scrapes at pipes, decided to raise engine by changing the frame mounts to regular sbc 350 as i had 3/4" shorter ones as i went with the lower z28 mounts. we'll see if this may help height as well. Another issue is the driver side is lower than passenger side, will add global west .750 spacers and see if the balance out.
will update what happens and see if this will make things better also replacing my doug headers d3337 to some ebay headers that clears the gear box
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 10:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Switch your mounts, crossmember, pan and headers to Holley. Problem solved.
DT likes this.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Switch your mounts, crossmember, pan and headers to Holley. Problem solved.
Chris, forgot to mention while i pulled the motor out I did go ahead and installed my new holley 302-2 pan, I had the ls1 camaro pan in the car and it was so close to the firewall, the holley will be moving it forward 1" but this will cause my driveshalf to be short now. 2010 swap...
the 67 i did the swap in 2008 and had the ls1 pan notched at the time.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Louis, I hear you. I did my swap in 2010 also and had used the some of the best parts out at the time. I had S&P mounts, auto Kraft pan and stainless works headers. Driving at >60 mph I had a driveline vibration that made it unfun to drive. I mean the rear view mirror would shake so bad I couldn’t see out of it. I put up with it until late last year. I swapped all of my stuff to the newer Holley stuff. Works awesome. No driveline issues, no more leaking oil pan. I even sold my old stuff to recoup some of the $. Drive all day down the interstate at 80 now, love being able to enjoy the car once again.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Louis, I hear you. I did my swap in 2010 also and had used the some of the best parts out at the time. I had S&P mounts, auto Kraft pan and stainless works headers. Driving at >60 mph I had a driveline vibration that made it unfun to drive. I mean the rear view mirror would shake so bad I couldn’t see out of it. I put up with it until late last year. I swapped all of my stuff to the newer Holley stuff. Works awesome. No driveline issues, no more leaking oil pan. I even sold my old stuff to recoup some of the $. Drive all day down the interstate at 80 now, love being able to enjoy the car once again.
Chris, the 1st one 67 was done in 08, I drive all the time with the gap like that with tires being 215/45/17 from the beginning till I started meeting with people that were all about pro touring. The notch pan started to leak in 2011 then fixed it by RTVing the spot where the pan was notched still holding up. not going to change the pan on this one as its good. Planning to add vintage air soon as I like to take long trips wit this car. I will insert the new mog 6308 same time i do the a/c setup and i'm not touch the suspension anymore.

For the 69 i'll try and figure out which long tubes will work best for me, from the measurements I'm going to clear at least 3/4". so headers wont scrape and will also install my magnaflows 3" pipes. I'm hoping it clears or these hotchkis will be thrown out, and i'll ride a little higher and wont car about the stance just as long as I can drive the car from SF to LA, without any problems.
Thanks again
Louis
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Sometimes we have to realize aftermarket changes don't always work out the way we like. Unless you want to throw a bunch of money at parts that compromise the original intent of the designers. I have built 35 of these guys and keep it mostly stock and enjoy them like I did in the 70's. I use stock springs, Delco or Gabriel shocks, IROC steering box, HD front sway bars, built BB or SB and I even like the original rubber bushings. These cars sat "low" from the factory with taller tires but most restos sit high due to either wrong suspension or after market parts. Just some thoughts from an Old Camaro Guy. My all original 69 with 55k miles sits 9" from the floor to the rocker. . . . check it out in the AIM with 225/70/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode