Upper and lower control arms ...interchangeable? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Upper and lower control arms ...interchangeable?

Aloha all, I wanted to ask you all a very specific 1979 Camaro front end suspension question, let me explain my dilemma. I own a 1955 Chevy truck that has a issue with how the front clip of a 1979 Camaro was welded up to the 1955 truck chassis. The front tire is about 2 inches off- center up front. Meaning I need to move the front hub forward 2" and was hoping since it seems like the upper and lower control arms from 1970-1981 will fit the 1979 chassis, maybe if I install the upper and lower control arms from either the 1970-73 or 1980-1981, they may move my front hub forward between 2-3"...I wanted an easy way to achieve this rather than having a shop cut and weld the entire front end just for a few inches...I guess every inch counts!
Any info be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: Upper and lower control arms ...interchangeable?

No, you are just asking for more trouble by messing around with control arms etc. Can the whole subframe be moved ahead by the two inches ? I am wondering if they did this that way so they could use the stock driveshaft or something ? It sounds like it is time to do it right by starting over !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Upper and lower control arms ...interchangeable?

Agree, apparently, the subframe ws not squared before attachment.
People used 2nd Gen subframes because of having disc brakes and front steering allowing use of most any oil pan.
Welcome, Collector.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 02:46 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Upper and lower control arms ...interchangeable?

Even if you had custom A arms made to do what you want, the steering linkage geometry would be off & the coil springs would not line up. Itís far easier to cut the sub off & relocate it.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks for the posts, yes on all points. It does look like the subframe was connected to keep everything aligned from the transmission mounts, engine mounts and steering box as well as the way the radiator sits on the chassis. All looks solidly done, accept for the 2" off center for the front hub, I guess they had there reasons...its a bit of an eye sore but it does ride and drive well. Wanted to stay at about the 15" wheel size, but I was thinking maybe 18" wheels all the way around would close this gap...well, I will post a few pics, after I figure out how to shrink the size of my photos...thanks again everyone, I will be back for some Wilwood brake or other brake upgrade options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode