Can't bleed front caliper !!! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Can't bleed front caliper !!!

I have a '68 with power front disc brakes and I am having a problem bleeding my driver side front caliper. I'm not using any kind of power or vacuum bleeder. Just a helper pushing the brake pedal.

In this restoration I've gone through the entire brake system.

All new hard lines and hoses.
New 5460346 casting double bleeder master cylinder.
Rebuilt original metering valve.
Rebuilt original distribution block.
Rebuilt original calipers, SS sleeved and rebuilt by Vette Brakes.

So I started with a completely dry system. The back brakes bled fine with no problems.

In my first attempt at bleeding the front brakes, I was getting air, air, and more air. This was my fault. Looing at the master cylinder more from the front than from the side, I thought I was keeping the fluid level plenty high and it turns out, because of the tilt of the master cylinder, what looked plenty high enough at the rear of the front chamber was not covering the port in the bottom, thus lots of air. I was out of fluid and had to quit for the day. Dumb mistake on my part!

More fluid in hand, and knowing I had to keep the fluid lever even higher, we tried again yesterday. The passenger side went fine. A few bubbles at first and them nothing but fluid. Great!

On the driver's side. A few microscopic bubbles at first and it worse not better.......An occasional bubble the size of a BB.....then bigger and bigger bubbles, some and inch or two long. The more I bled, the bigger the bubbles got! I could not get rid of them.

There are no leaks at any of the connections. I pulled the pads out to see if there were leaks at the piston bore seals. The were dry as a bone.

I have to be sucking in air somewhere but I have no idea where. I've pumped more air out that bleeder screw than the system could ever hold.

Any ideas ???

Thanks..Ö..Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 01:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Can't bleed front caliper !!!

If you have factory installed disc brakes you will have a hold off valve between the master cylinder and the distribution block.

I have factory disc brakes on my '67 and was having the same problem with air in the front brakes. After many hours of bleeding and several quarts of brake fluid I made up a steel line to bypass the hold off valve. With the valve out of the system I had no problem bleeding the brakes. This was going to be a temporary fix to see if the hold off valve was the source of the air getting into the system. It's been 15 years since I removed the valve. The brakes work so well without it I haven't bothered to replace it.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 03:41 PM
Tech Team
bob

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Yes, I did.

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

This is the original master cylinder in my '67. The car is a manual disc brake car and still has the original "AD" master cylinder. The hold off (metering) valve is missing in this picture but the bracket it still in place. I picked up the steel line from the MC to the distribution block at a local auto parts store. It came with the correct size ends and all I had to do was bend it into a "U" shape. This was really just a test to see if I was sucking air in through the hold off valve.

It proved without a doubt the air was entering the hold off valve. The odd part was the valve was completely dry on the outside. I still don't know how it was sucking in air without leaking a single drop, although I do suspect it was sucking the air in around the button on the back of the valve.

Anyway try bypassing your hold off valve and see if your brakes will bleed.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech

OP

Been there, done that. Front DS would not bleed. Used the buddy system to bleed.

What I found is my DS front brake line comes out of the distro block into a vertical 2 coil bend before going down to the DS brake. The top of this double loop was higher than the "out" of the distro block. air bubble would just "bounce" back and forth within the two coils as the pedal push just didn't carry enough volume to push it through the 2 loops in the hard line.

I used m Mighty Vac and bingo. First remove the bleeder screw and wrap threads in Teflon tape. You are sucking in air through the threads otherwise.

Normally a gravity bleed works for me but this 67 has the 2 coil line for DS....and no other line on the car has this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode