No Rear Brakes '67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

No Rear Brakes '67 Camaro

I pulled the drum brakes off of the 8.2" 10-bolt to transfer to a fresh 12-bolt rear. When removing I noted the brake shoes were not adjusted for solid contact with the drums. I also found the front to rear line was pinched flat at one point. Those two things made me believe the car's rear brakes were not functioning.

Now I have installed the rear brakes onto the 12-bolt rear and replaced the front to rear brake line. This morning when trying to bleed the rear lines we couldn't get any pressure. Multiple pumps yielded no pressure at the rear wheel cylinders. With the master cylinder cap removed, when you apply the brakes, the front reservoir fluid pushes up while the rear reservoir fluid doesn't move. This leads me to believe the master cylinder is bad, as in not pushing fluid to the rear brakes. The rear brake concerns are compounded.

What does the hive think?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 05:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage
Re: No Rear Brakes '67 Camaro

Check the rubber line from the main to the tee in the rear. They can collapse and nothing goes through.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 05:25 PM
Team Member
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
What does the hive think?
You will be assimilated

That is exactly what happened to me. I purchased new cylinders, axle lines, T-fittings and the flex hose was ultimately what fixed it. It was a bit difficult to break ( I mean brake) free, but I can stop now

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
you will be assimilated
lol

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You can always break the hard line at the rubber hose and bleed/see if fluid is present.
If yes, then hose is hosed.
On shoe contact, an old trick is not dome any more - arc turning where the shoe is ground to the radius/diameter of the drum as this will give full contact.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

My plans now are to replace the master cylinder and 9" booster with a repop Delco Moraine 11" booster and new master cylinder. While I am at it I'll also replace the rear flex line. This will involve bench bleeding and bleeding to all four corners but should fully resolve all concerns.

I'm with you on the arc turning and I doubt that service is now even available. I still need to adjust out the shoes but don't want to overdo it. Won't cycling the emergency brake multiple times turn the screw to optimal tightness? I don't yet have the emergency brake connected but plan to test this theory.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

E-cable MIGHT work after being pulled 47 times, but I would use a brake spoon and adjust, a lot quicker.
Also, backing up and applying brakes adjusts brakes.
And a 9-inch diaphragm vice 11-inch diaphragm would allow removal of drvr side valve cover.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
And a 9-inch diaphragm vice 11-inch diaphragm would allow removal of drvr side valve cover.
Why is there always a gotcha! Didn't the factory utilize the 11" booster with the big block?

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Apr 18th, 19 at 08:42 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 11:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Adjust the brakes before replacing anything. They will not bleed if they are not adjusted.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I used the brake spoon and got the shoes closer to the drums. I replaced the rear flex line even though the one removed seemed to be clear. The booster and master cylinder are replaced. All are bled out and the brakes now work as they should. I'll soon reinstall the emergency brake cable which will further adjust out the rear drums.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3965FACF-331C-4FE9-A048-73CAE3B6564D.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	226701  

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in