Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

2Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805
  • 1 Post By 1969RSCAMARO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Rear wheel not centered in wheel well

I have a 1967 and recently replaced the leaf springs. The driver side rear wheel is sitting about 3/4 of an inch more forward (toward the front end) than the passenger rear wheel. The distance between the driver side tire and the front lip of the wheel well is 1 3/4". The distance between the tire and the front lip of the passenger wheel well is 2 1/2". Unfortunately, I recently changed the wheels and tires and springs and did not think to see if this discrepancy existed prior to the changes. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is normal or whether there is something to be done to correct the issue? The car was restored about 20 plus years ago and I believe we replaced one of the rear quarter panels, but cannot recall for sure. I am not sure if this could be something to do with the body vs. the new parts/install. I appreciate any insight you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Rear wheel not centered in wheel well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyshaw74 View Post
The car was restored about 20 plus years ago and I believe we replaced one of the rear quarter panels, but cannot recall for sure. I am not sure if this could be something to do with the body vs. the new parts/install. I appreciate any insight you can provide.
Well until I got to the above....I felt it was because of all the new rear end suspension parts install.

But given the 1/4 panel swap 20+ years ago "may" be part of the equation than try and look closer at each 1/4 (pinch welds, inner fender well) panel to see which one it was. Take a measurement rear of front fender well to front of rear wheel measurement on each side. Is there a 3/4" difference?

If the body does line up = you could, with rear end hanging and car on jack stands (helpful to keep floor jack under diff to raise/lower rear end as needed), loosen the leaf U bolts, remove lower shock nut and slide shock off then see if you can "adjust" (kick) rear end to balance wheel well centering. Attach lower shock & nut, Then load the suspension and tighten all bolts
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 05:56 PM
Apprentice

Could you measure from the front of the rear tire to the rear of the front tire on each side and see if they match? Wouldn't be the most scientific approach but should give you an idea if you're square. I'd also look for any odd tread wear. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime it, but those are my initial thoughts.

Richmond, VA

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Does the rear sit level ? Did you tighten the shackles with the weight of the car on the ground,
shocks disconnected and cycle the suspension a number of times ? If not you may have the springs
bound up. If you did then I would check the car for tracking. An alignment shop can do it easily.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The quarter has to line up with adjacent panels. It would take one of the worst body techs to butcher a job that badly.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 04:41 AM
Kevin

The rear springs have centering pins (or bolt) that fit into holes in the shock plate and axle bracket. Stock GM rubber pads have reliefs that help to center the spring in those holes. It is possible you did not get the pins centered in the holes properly. Check to see if the rear is centered on the pins.

Kevin

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Good idea to measure from the back front wheel well to the front of the rear wheel well to see if there any inconsistency. The leaf spring pin is sitting in the hole of the lower mounting plate, so I don't believe that is an issue. I purchased new rubber for the leaf springs before replacing everything, so I don't think there is any issue with the rubber pads. I did put the car on the ground before tightening the leaf springs on the body and at the rear hangers. I tightened the leaf spring plates prior to sitting the car on the ground, so I am not sure if that could be giving me any issue. It is certainly strange.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 05:51 AM
John

Garage

If you just replaced the springs the springs could be the problem.

Measure from the center of the front spring pocket bolts to the pins at the axle and compare.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech

OP

Break out the tape measure. Measure body to see if it is the reason or as noted front to back tire spacing to see if suspension/axle housing

also confirm the pin location is = front of spring to pin on each side of leaf
sonnyshaw74 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

I don't have my manual right now. But I think there is a correct sequence in torqueing your bolts. But look in your manual. I did the same thing years ago. I found a old thread when I had the problem.

I had this happen to me. Loosen everything up and make sure the locating pins fit down into the axle plate. Lower the car down and torque with weight on wheels.
sonnyshaw74 likes this.

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4

Last edited by 1969RSCAMARO; Apr 30th, 19 at 06:27 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 05:19 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

I would measure each side from center to center to make sure the car is not dog tracking. If one side is shorter check the spring attachment at the axle. I have seen some that have two centering pins for different applications. Might be sitting on the wrong pin.

1968 Z-28 Black stripes on white, 350, M22, 12bolt. WIP since August 1979
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode