• 3 Post By dyno jonn
  • 1 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Adjusting ride height

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious enough to ask. Very often we hear about guys wishing their leaf-spring car was a half inch higher or maybe one side is a slightly different height than the other. So here's the dumb question:

Could you use a coil over with a very low spring rate in place of a regular shock to fine tune your ride height? I know all about air shocks and know that they were designed to boost a sagging rear when the car is overloaded, but why couldn't somebody come up with an adjustable height shock that have you an inch of play or so without drastically impairing the ride?

I don't know the exact mechanical properties of an air shock, but it seems to lift or extend the shock with no give. A coilover would theoretically still have some give. Just a dumb question but maybe somebody thinks it's possible?

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Adjusting ride height

To raise one side or both side up 1/2", without going to a taller tire, you can use a block under the leaf spring. They are sold in various thickness 1/4" to 3". Some have added just 1 side if they have a sagging side

Generally people use blocks above leaf (raises axle housing) to lower but you can do the opposite and use them to raise the car by putting them above the leaf spring on the higher side.

Fairly simple to install and about $15 for a block

I got mine at Speedway

Last edited by SoCal805; Apr 30th, 19 at 04:40 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
To raise one side or both side up 1/2", without going to a taller tire, you can use a block under the leaf spring. They are sold in various thickness 1/4" to 3". Some have added just 1 side if they have a sagging side

Generally people use blocks above leaf (raises axle housing) to lower but you can do the opposite and use them to raise the car by putting them under the leaf spring.

Fairly simple to install and about $15 for a block

I got mine at Speedway

The only part of that I believe is the part about using blocks for lowering a car. It might work on a truck where the springs are mounted on top of the axle, but this is a Camaro forum.
TJS69, Chevy68 and 57vette like this.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
The only part of that I believe is the part about using blocks for lowering a car. It might work on a truck where the springs are mounted on top of the axle, but this is a Camaro forum.
Exactly. Axle perches are welded in place _UNDER_ the axle, so John is right and moving the spring perch to above the axle would only raise the body up the thickness of the axle... about 3" plus the thickness of the perch. At that point there's no way to lower the car as blocks would only raise it more!

Depending on the pitch of the thread, coilovers can move the car up (or down) in fractions of an inch or even an inch. One of the real benefits of a coilover 3 or 4 link setup.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech

My bad guys, I did use blocks to lower the Camaro....and to raise my truck but yeah on the Camaro the spring plate is welded to top of axle housing and block won't work to raise the rear

I used shocks with springs on them on my 70 Torino to raise the rear of that car some
57vette likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
I used shocks with springs on them on my 70 Torino to raise the rear of that car some
How'd that affect the ride? But the spring load wasn't adjustable like a coilover right?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
How'd that affect the ride? But the spring load wasn't adjustable like a coilover right?
no these were non adjustable. Just shocks typically used on pick ups or wagons to offset heavier loads that had a fixed coil spring around them. IIRC they were Gabriel shocks, fairly inexpensive

Ride was OK. It raised the back a good 1" over the then blown out stock shocks which for my purposes was all I wanted on the Torino

These were not the ones I used but what they look like
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...content=GSAPI1

I don't see them for Camaro application but if the extended and collapsed heights work than one for another type of car and have the correct ends than that could be a option

There are adjustable coil overs (RideTech) for the Camaro
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 03:50 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...6%20Suspension

Maybe ?????

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Do you have to raise it ?

If not just use a block on the side you need to lower to make them equal.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Danny+Bee/294...UaAkpEEALw_wcB

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleCat View Post
Do you have to raise it ?

If not just use a block on the side you need to lower to make them equal.
yep, I know a guy who did the PS because his DS sat lower. Basically "lowering" the higher side vs raising the lower side

Quote:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Here's a good deal. $6 each; you can order them one at a time and lower both sides differing amounts if needed :

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...lock,3353.html

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Adding a single or different height lowering blocks with Hotchkis lowering springs would probably be a no-no for me. Might work for guys with their rears way up there. I am dealing with tight tire, exhaust, and fender clearance already. Thats why I was curious about using a coilover with a softer/weaker spring in place of a shock. But I'm OK for the moment, just had to ask the question.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Adding a single or different height lowering blocks with Hotchkis lowering springs would probably be a no-no for me. Might work for guys with their rears way up there. I am dealing with tight tire, exhaust, and fender clearance already. Thats why I was curious about using a coilover with a softer/weaker spring in place of a shock. But I'm OK for the moment, just had to ask the question.
If you know the height difference (1/2"??) You could then look/measure under the car to see if putting a block of that thickness between leaf & axle would cause any interference in the areas you note. You would be lowering the high side

As posted Speedway has them in varying thickness and they are very simple to install and are quite inexspensive

Otherwise you could put adjustable coil over shocks and adjust them accordingly to the ride height you want on "each" side. IMHO I would not just do one coil over on one side and whatever shock you have on the other

Obviously there is hundreds of $ difference between the two methods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode