Bolt on suspension upgrade recommendations - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bolt on suspension upgrade recommendations

Now that the drivetrain is basically done, I'm looking to do a basic suspension upgrade/refresh to improve handling and reduce the loose/floaty feeling at highway speeds. Everything is currently stock geometry as far as I can tell, but I doubt most of it is 1968 original. Right now it's pretty soft and parts on the underside can scrape when going over dips in the road at a normal speed. There are several components (frame, frame connectors, headers, portions of exhaust pipes, etc.) that sit less than 5 inches from the ground at some point along their length. So I don't really want it to be any lower, or if it is, it needs to be a good bit stiffer to prevent any of these things dragging on the pavement. Seems like most parts/kits say they drop the car at least 1.5 to 2 inches, but I understand that's from stock, original height. I don't know how much the current setup is sagging compared to straight from the factory, so here's a couple pics of how it currently sits.

I'm looking for the simplest bolt on solution to give better handling, stiffen it up a bit, reduce looseness, and prevent scraping the bottom. This is not an autocross car and there are no canyons to carve where I live. It's just a fun weekend cruiser that may see a couple passes down the drag strip every once in a while. Looks like there are a lot of options from Hotchkis, Ridetech, DSE, Calvert, etc. What do you recommend for something that I can install mostly if not all myself without cutting and welding a bunch of stuff?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Bolt on suspension upgrade recommendations

Ridetech Street Grip is a good option. You will get a lot of opinions on this, there is no absolutely correct or best option. Everything has tradeoffs....

Don
allanjs likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1969 Z28 factory air project
- sold
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 10:38 AM
Team Member
Darin

I had Hotchkis springs and leafs with their frame conectors, I used Ridetech HQ shocks it worked and handled real well.

The hotchkis TVS or Ridetech street grip would be two at the top of my list.

I’m sure DSE makes some good street performance stuff also.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Those two are basically top of my list. I generally see people speak a bit more highly of Ridetech vs Hotchkis. What about their kit makes it worth ~$1000 more than the TVS?

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 11:44 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I think it sits pretty good as is.

That "floaty" feeling could be old/worn shocks also.... but stiffer springs would be a help.

As for "stock ride height"....measure

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	226805

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR B-1 View Post
Those two are basically top of my list. I generally see people speak a bit more highly of Ridetech vs Hotchkis. What about their kit makes it worth ~$1000 more than the TVS?
Street grip corrects the geometry. Hotchkis does nothing.

Don

1959 El Camino project

- sold
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
I think it sits pretty good as is.

That "floaty" feeling could be old/worn shocks also.... but stiffer springs would be a help.

As for "stock ride height"....measure

Thanks for the diagram! And yes, the shocks are certainly old and worn as much as any other component. You can push on the front or back of the car and compress it more than an inch pretty easily.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
Al

First check the condition of all the suspension parts. Then I would consider an upgraded steering
box, larger front sway bar, possibly add a rear sway bar, good shocks and a good wheel alignment.
Beyond that it starts to get spendy. There's an ongoing thread on using a Jeep Grand Cherokee
steering box with good results. Be cautious listening to the vendors hyping their products especially
when they tell you it's a dircet bolt on with no mods required. I do however believe the Street Grip
system is good. No personal experience, just user feedback on the forums. There's also some very
negative threads on other brand(s). Look through the threads. Keep in mind these cars have some
inherent suspension issues that you can't correct such as rear steer.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks. I understand and accept it's never going to feel like a new car and that's fine. Not looking for an amazing pro touring setup here, just some freshening up to make everything a bit tighter.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 03:58 PM
John

Garage

Ive used the Ridetech Streetgrip and was happy with it. Comes with front and rear sway bars along with a-arm bushings, ball joints, springs and adjustable shocks all in one box.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Seems like everyone who has used it has been happy with the StreetGrip setup. I found one thread where Dave Pozzi recommended a taller outer tie rod end to go along with the taller ball joint. Other than that it looks pretty complete and lots of good reviews. The Delrin bushings seem nice as well as the weight savings of the composite leafs. Includes adjustable shocks and the dual rate springs are a cool idea.

TVS includes a rear sway bar and brace that the Ridetech doesn't. Seen mixed things on whether it's necessary. Not sure what kind of bushings it uses but they aren't Delrin. Steel leaf springs, no shocks included. After looking closer and doing more reading, it's clear why this one is $1000 less than the Ridetech.

I'm thinking StreetGrip is the way to go in my situation.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I am not a big fan of the Ridetech Delrin bushings. Fine for the track but too much NVH on the street for my liking. They cannot be lubed and get noisy in a dusty environment. They are better than worn out rubber bushings.

Don

1959 El Camino project

- sold
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 04:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

If you want a big bang for the buck, you can get a 1-1/8" front sway bar from CPP off EBAY and put some KYB monotube shocks on the front and rear.

You can do this for $260 and I bet the difference will amaze you.

As for "scraping the bottom" , this might be cured by better fitting headers or mufflers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...ro?prefilter=1

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...ro?prefilter=1

https://www.ebay.com/i/381146968548?chn=ps

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears

Last edited by NashvilleCat; May 7th, 19 at 04:35 PM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 05:24 PM
John

Garage

Delrin is advertised as self lubricating.

The kit for my 66 Chevelle came with a rear sway bar.

If you go Streetgrip buy their bushing removal and installation tool for $100. Well worth it.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Delrin is advertised as self lubricating.

The kit for my 66 Chevelle came with a rear sway bar.

If you go Streetgrip buy their bushing removal and installation tool for $100. Well worth it.
Yes it is advertised as such but Iím not buying it. Donít like their bushings, have used them in a couple of builds. They are harsh and get noisy in a dusty environment. Lube would prevent that imho...

My personal opinion is the chickens are going to come home to roost on their bushings in a few more years....

Don

1959 El Camino project

- sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode