The Leaning tower of first gens - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

The Leaning tower of first gens

Hi everyone. I have been looking through old posts and found some small morsels of help. Which I have tried but still no luck.

My 68 vert is leaning down on the drivers side. It is about 1 1/2" lower than the right. I thought I might have had a saggy Mono leaf so I swapped them over for some 1.5" drop multi leafs from hotchkis ( also changed the front springs). I was confident this would solve it but after finishing and driving around it still is exactly the same. So I had read people had put lowering blocks on the high side. So I have installed a 1" block on the passenger side between the leaf and axle and I still have 1" difference. So the block has helped but something is still trying to lean it over. I measured the front and I have about 7/16" difference floor to arch. Has anyone had this problem? Could it be the front subframe mounts maybe?
Thanks for any help in advance.
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 03:45 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: The Leaning tower of first gens

Check your subframe bushings. How are the door gaps to the rocker and quarter?

Don
DjD likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 03:50 AM
Kevin

It's your front springs If the sag is on the right rear, it is your left front spring pushing up more than the right. Common issue is the pigtails of the spring are not in the pockets.

But check that everything is straight, subframe bushings, bent subframe, sagging front springs, etc can all be the issue.
DjD likes this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

can you use a aluminum Leaf Spring Lowering Block on the opposite leaf spring to try and level the car if everything else is new ? The block would raise not lower the car
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Unsymmetrical use of blocks etc to level a car this far off is poor practice imho. Identify the root cause and address it properly....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 06:29 AM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills69 View Post
can you use a aluminum Leaf Spring Lowering Block on the opposite leaf spring to try and level the car if everything else is new ? The block would raise not lower the car
How will the leaf block raise the car ?

If its under the axle it will drop.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Make sure you tighten the rear leaf-spring shackle bolts with the full weight of the car on the suspension.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

If one of the front coils was not indexed and set in the cup properly than the opposite of the car will be low. Confirm your front springs are in right

with that said 1 1/2" is a big difference so IDK if a mis aligned spring can throw it off that much

Do you know if the unibody is twisted?

Just like 1st gen mustangs the Camaro unibody was prone to twisting when guys started making HP and clutch dumps & 1/4 mi launches without sub frame connectors

If you have replaced springs F&R and other suspension parts....they all should have been tightened with the suspension fully loaded. If done while suspension was hanging...one side will certainly be off.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 09:15 AM
John

Garage

A-arm bushings, shocks, leaf spring bushings among other things could contribute to the issue.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all your answers. I have already put an aluminium block in the high side drop down. Made a difference but not fixed it. I was careful to index the springs in the pockets but maybe I should double check. I indexed in the top pockets, that's correct isn't it? I will check the sub frame bushings next. I have no idea if the body is twisted. Most lines are ok on the car. Not perfect. Drivers door isn't inline properly but the hinge has worn and I have new pins and bushings for that issue. I will re check the front end first then check all the body bushings. 👍
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Took a picture of the lean today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_083050_resize_92_1557524587268.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	226957  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 05:46 PM
Kevin

The other way to check, is to get some angle iron and put it pointy side up on a floor jack (with a rubber cushion) in the center of the subframe crossmember. jack it up so front wheels are off the ground (or remove wheels before hand). If the rear evens out, the issue is in the front, if rear still leans (bounce it), then issue is in the rear.

Kevin

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Are the front sway bar "end links" the exact same length? Also check for worn end link bushings.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 11:00 AM
David Pozzi

Step one is to disconnect the front and rear sway bars unbolting one end link per bar is enough. Jack up the rear on the exact center of the rear axle and check the front for level. Then jack up the front on exact center and measure the rear for level. This will tell you which end is the problem.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I will try the angle iron trick and see if that shows up any problems. The sway bar is brand new, new bushings and end links too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode