Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By allanjs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Phil

Brake Shoe Smell

Got home from a show Saturday and noticed I smelled brake shoe odor when I pulled in garage. Got out and felt all 4 wheels and it's definitely the drivers rear drum brake. Wasn't smoking, but Rally wheel was very warm to the touch compared to the other 3. What would you guys look for first with this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Some other info that may help. I restored this car 19 years ago and replaced every single component of the entire brake system. The car has about 7500 miles on the restoration. Not one bit of brake problems till this past Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Re: Brake Shoe Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish45 View Post
Got home from a show Saturday and noticed I smelled brake shoe odor when I pulled in garage. Got out and felt all 4 wheels and it's definitely the drivers rear drum brake. Wasn't smoking, but Rally wheel was very warm to the touch compared to the other 3. What would you guys look for first with this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Some other info that may help. I restored this car 19 years ago and replaced every single component of the entire brake system. The car has about 7500 miles on the restoration. Not one bit of brake problems till this past Saturday.
Brake shoe is dragging and you need to back off the star wheel adjuster.

But it's been so long I need Everett or someone without alzheimer's to tell you how.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 03:32 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech
Al

If you used the parking brake it's possible it's not fully released. If you haven't pulled
the drums for 19 years I would and check everything over.
69-Pace likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech

OP

likely the self adjuster on that side has adjusted to far or your parking brake is not fully releasing.

Take tire and drum off to inspect. You likely need to hit the parts with some brake cleaner and if the shoes got glazed rub them with some emery cloth

You may need to "loosen" the brake adjuster to get the drum off which means you need to use a screw driver to push the clip away from the star so you can back the star off enough to then get the drum off using a brake adjuster tool

19 year old brake job may just need some clean up attention with the low mileage you have put on the brake system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode