Looking to go 4-wheel big brake conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD
Looking to go 4-wheel big brake conversion

I'd rather buy a full kit, vs chasing down parts here or parts there. No ebay, no bone yards if I can avoid it. Anybody use the "Right Stuff Detailing" kit? Same as the Camaro Central kit. Looks complete. Car is planed to use stock spindles, but may lower with a Hotchkis TVS kit. Currently have PDB's with drum rear. Advise welcomed.

69 Z-28-Glacier Blue, X-77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage
Re: Looking to go 4-wheel big brake conversion

What size rims are you planning to run? Stock or bigger.......17"-18"?
Post a link of the kit you mentioned.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 08:30 AM
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I'd rather buy a full kit, vs chasing down parts here or parts there. No ebay, no bone yards if I can avoid it. Anybody use the "Right Stuff Detailing" kit? Same as the Camaro Central kit. Looks complete. Car is planed to use stock spindles, but may lower with a Hotchkis TVS kit. Currently have PDB's with drum rear. Advise welcomed.
This is the kit I purchased:

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxdc55cs

So far I have only installed the front rotors and calipers as I have no rear end yet. I thought it was pretty well made and the hardware is top notch. There have been some negative comments on the forum regarding the rear calipers as they are/could be difficult to adjust but I have no personal experience. I was simply unwilling to spend the money on Wilwood or Baer (more than double) particularly when I too really wanted a complete kit to take some of the guess work out of the process. I don't have nearly the experience as some of the members so I went the kit route to ensure it was complete and compatible. I also chose to use Hotchkis springs in the front and BMR leafs in the back. I too looked at the VS kit but felt this portion I could do better buy spot buying individual parts rather than the kit - just my two cents.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Nate

I used the right stuff big brake kit on my 68. over kill for my sb coupe. However, for the price I got my kit for I couldnt get a standard size kit for so it was well worth it to me. I like the kit, its complete and reasonable. It works really well. You have to use at least a 17" rim to clear the calipers. I enjoy the braking power of it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD

Thanks guys, I was looking at going 17" wheels, and the "right Stuff kit" is what I had my eye on, but just because it comes in one box, does not mean it will work. In this case, it looks like it will be OK, so thanks for the advise!

69 Z-28-Glacier Blue, X-77
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

I have C6 Corvette brakes. The entire kit came from Kore3. It uses all GM parts except for mounting brackets on front and rear. I have 17' wheels, stock spindles, 12 bolt. The car stops pronto. Talk to Tobin at Kore3. Whatever you get, measure and re-measure and make damn sure they will fit your wheel of choice.

1967 SSRS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 03:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Thanks guys, I was looking at going 17" wheels, and the "right Stuff kit" is what I had my eye on, but just because it comes in one box, does not mean it will work. In this case, it looks like it will be OK, so thanks for the advise!
I went with 2002 Camaro 4 wheel disc brakes. There's a sticky in the brake section on doing the rear 12" rotors and the fronts are also easy to swap.

I went with calipers and rotors (drilled and slotted) from Rockauto and my cost for all 4 wheels was under $700.

You need at least 16" wheels to clear the 12" rotors.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode