Brake Issue 81 Camaro 454bb - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hi All, so I recently purchased an 81 Camaro (from out of state) and once I had it shipped and delivered one thing the previous owner failed to mention is that the brakes didn’t work. Disk front, drum rear.
Looks like the pads are good and it has an added vacuum pump for the big cam.

Here’s what’s happening. I drive down the street (very slow I may add) and push the brake peddle down all the way to the damn floor board and the car barely slows down. It’s not a “hard” brake. Feels kind Of normal feeling, but the car just doesn’t stop.

Initially I thought because of the cam it needed an electric vacuum, but I see that’s clearly installed. Brake pads look good all the way around. Maybe the added vacuum pump is failing or is a cheap one and not strong enough to keep up with the 454bb and I should upgrade it? Or maybe the brake booster/cylinder?

Anyone else experience this? If so what was your solution?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Brake *pedal (just saw the typo) lol.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Brake Issue 81 Camaro 454bb

Take it to your local brake shop and have it power bled to replace the brake fluid with one type (Dot four or DOT five) and be assured that there is no air in the system. Because you have new pads and a vacuum pump you know the previous owner has been playing with the brake system.

Once you have fresh fluid and no air in the system you can diagnose any other problems (such as a smaller vacuum diaphragm to clear cosmetic fashion statement tall valve covers), or a leak in the vacuum system in the plumbing of the hoses, or the lack of a tank to hold the vacuum built by the electric vacuum pump (called an accumulator).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode