Power Steering Pressure Hose Question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage
Power Steering Pressure Hose Question

I am installing a Serpentine Belt system and they provided me with a new Type II Power Steering pump. My challenge is the unit has an AN thread to connect the power steering line. The new hose I bought does not have an AN nut on it. It appears to be like a 5/8 threaded nut (in the pic). Since I don't know what the thread is, I don't know how to look for a female/male threaded adapter. I bought an extension line that re-positions the hose around back of the power steering unit and it has a male 6AN, and I need an adapter with a female 6AN and a male 5/8 compression fitting (I think). I have some Earls Vapor Guard fittings that fit if I cut the end of the pressure hose fitting off and crimp a Vapor Guard end on it, but I do not know what kind of pressure the power steering system runs. The Vapor Guard it good for 50 PSI.

Any help with this conflaguration?

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Power Steering Pressure Hose Question

Only use power steering hose for the pressure line. It is much higher than 50 psi. You can buy the hose and AN fittings at Summit etc and make your own hose. Or a hydraulic shop could probably modify the hose you have.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 06:07 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Only use power steering hose for the pressure line. It is much higher than 50 psi. You can buy the hose and AN fittings at Summit etc and make your own hose. Or a hydraulic shop could probably modify the hose you have.

Don
X2 for sure

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 07:51 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

I have the same potential issue. My serpentine system came with a type II P/S pump that has an 6AN and 10AN fitting on it. Unfortunately, the company that makes the system (CVF Racing) doesn't sell the P/S lines and doesn't include them in the kit. I'm connecting the pump to a close ratio steering box from a 69 Camaro - no idea what size those fittings are. Any ideas on where I can find those hoses? I checked Summit and the problem is they list 9 different hoses, but most won't be available until mid-July...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lowered View Post
I have the same potential issue. My serpentine system came with a type II P/S pump that has an 6AN and 10AN fitting on it. Unfortunately, the company that makes the system (CVF Racing) doesn't sell the P/S lines and doesn't include them in the kit. I'm connecting the pump to a close ratio steering box from a 69 Camaro - no idea what size those fittings are. Any ideas on where I can find those hoses? I checked Summit and the problem is they list 9 different hoses, but most won't be available until mid-July...
Mine is from CVF also....

Brett.

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 09:35 PM
Team Member
Darin

I used earls when I made mine.

https://www.holley.com/brands/earls/...ower_steering/

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Use AN adaptors on the box and make an AN to AN hose using the Earls parts. Very commonly done.

Don

1959 El Camino project

Last edited by dhutton; Jun 23rd, 19 at 04:36 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Use AN adapters on the box and make and AN to AN hose using the Earls parts. Very commonly done.

Don
Thanks Don and everyone else for your input. I ordered the Earls setup. Only problem was the 90 degree black fitting was back ordered till the end of July. At the rate my work schedule is it will prolly take that long for me to get to that point anyway, but you would think they would be on top of their inventory a little better than they are. Guess I coulda looked at Summit or Jegs for all of the parts I ordered, but it's already ordered. I also ordered the lube, but did not order the tester kit. At $125 for one use initially, I did not spring for it.

One other quick question; I purchased a magnetic filter. it appears that gets mounted on the return line? It does not have high pressure ends on it so I am assuming that is where I put it.

Thanks,
Brett......

Last edited by Brettallen59; Jun 23rd, 19 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Edit
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Filters and coolers always in return lines.

For the -10 hose between the reservoir and pump it needs to be a hose that will not collapse under vacuum.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 05:33 AM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Thanks Don and everyone else for your input. I ordered the Earls setup. Only problem was the 90 degree black fitting was back ordered till the end of July. At the rate my work schedule is it will prolly take that long for me to get to that point anyway, but you would think they would be on top of their inventory a little better than they are. Guess I coulda looked at Summit or Jegs for all of the parts I ordered, but it's already ordered. I also ordered the lube, but did not order the tester kit. At $125 for one use initially, I did not spring for it.

One other quick question; I purchased a magnetic filter. it appears that gets mounted on the return line? It does not have high pressure ends on it so I am assuming that is where I put it.

Thanks,
Brett......
Brett,
Please post what your lines look like after you get them. I'm currently exchanging the original pump for one with the built in reservoir (like yours), so if you can list the parts you used, that would really help me get mine put together.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Brett,
Please post what your lines look like after you get them. I'm currently exchanging the original pump for one with the built in reservoir (like yours), so if you can list the parts you used, that would really help me get mine put together.
Pete,
Yes, my kit came with the remote reservoir and I did not want that. I told them I would buy the pump with attached reservoir. they were concerned there wasn't enough room for it, but there were not positive. I also purchased this hard line that moves the hose around to the back. It was quite expensive, I think $60 bucks. But I felt like I needed it to insure no clearance issues. Here are the parts I bought from Holley. I also bought the heat sleeve that slides over the 2500 PSI hose to protect it from the hedders. It will be a few weeks before I have the time to get into the garage to do the swap, so I figured I would get you at least the pics of what I bought.
P.S: I see you have a lot of Polk components. I have a PA D1000.1 Monoblock Sub that I was considering installing. I've had it in the box for 6 years and have never used it! Back then I had a Acura Legend I was going to upgrade and I thought Polk had the best components. I will get tunes in my Camaro one of these days!
Brett.....

Summit Racing Power Steering Hardline

Last edited by Brettallen59; Jun 29th, 19 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Edit
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 08:52 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

I started out with the separate P/S tank and just thought that finding a spot for it and needing an additional line was more trouble than it was worth. The replacement pump arrives on Monday, but I'm going to finish my Vintage Air install, fuel lines and brakes before I tackle the power steering. Thanks for the pics - I'll wait until I have the pump before I order any parts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
I started out with the separate P/S tank and just thought that finding a spot for it and needing an additional line was more trouble than it was worth. The replacement pump arrives on Monday, but I'm going to finish my Vintage Air install, fuel lines and brakes before I tackle the power steering. Thanks for the pics - I'll wait until I have the pump before I order any parts.
These are the part numbers:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 09:56 AM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

What type of power steering box are you using? I have a close ratio steering box for a 69 Camaro. I'm not sure if the fittings you mentioned will work with that box - I found a kit that Summit makes for an external reservoir and it mentions 6AN to 5/8-18 and 11/16-18 adapters for the steering box, so it would seem you'll need something like that if you're running a GM steering box...That one also has additional 6AN fittings that work with the adapters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode