8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Viking adj coil overs with 450lb springs

Anyone else using the Viking adjustable coil over set-up ?? I currently have the 450 lb springs installed and man with 225/45/17 tires it seems to hit the pot holes etc hard. I was thinking the 450 lb springs may be too much. This is for my 69 convertible with an LS3 and AC.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Viking adj coil overs with 450lb springs

Are they single or double adjustable shocks? Where have you set them? Is your shock centered in its travel at ride height? Do you have bumpstops?

If its a really hard hit Iím going to guess the shock is bottoming out.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Are they single or double adjustable shocks? Where have you set them? Is your shock centered in its travel at ride height? Do you have bumpstops?

If its a really hard hit I’m going to guess the shock is bottoming out.

Don
Yes Don double adjustable. I have them set at 4/8. The 45 series tires are not helping I’m guessing.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Yes Don double adjustable. I have them set at 4/8. The 45 series tires are not helping Iím guessing.
Are they roughly centered in their travel? Itís important that they are.

Have you tried increasing the damping?

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Are they roughly centered in their travel? Itís important that they are.

Have you tried increasing the damping?

Don
Yes, they are centered. I have tried several times already to find the right settings on the shocks. I will have to try another setting I guess. Does the 450 lb springs sound like too much ??

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Yes, they are centered. I have tried several times already to find the right settings on the shocks. I will have to try another setting I guess. Does the 450 lb springs sound like too much ??
They actually sound a little light but the spring rate varies with spring location and geometry. Is it a harsh metal to metal hit? If it is you are likely bottoming out the shock. Try putting the compression damping at max and see how it feels over the same pothole. Limit your experimentation to a single pothole for comparison purposes.

One thing folks often donít understand is that lowering the car generally requires higher spring rates to prevent bottoming out the suspension. The lower you go the stiffer it needs to be in general. Of course there are exceptions but this is the general rule. It is also why folks often complain of a harsh ride, especially if the coilover shocks have significantly less travel than the stock shock. This is why I often try to steer folks away from conversion coilovers....

Don
DT likes this.

1959 El Camino project

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 07:24 AM
John

Garage

It could also be the adjustment nut has been turn so far up to achieve ride height that it is compressed close to the top of the shock travel thereby increase effective spring rate.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; Jun 24th, 19 at 10:22 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 08:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

i'm running the same viking set up. i cant remember the spring rate that they recommended but i think it was either 450 or 350. try lowering the springs slightly on the body and playing with compression settings. i've been pretty pleased with the ride quality in mine. i converted from stock springs and KYB gas shocks. IMO the ride got much better with the C/O
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Thanks guys. The car has 1.5 inch Hotchkis leafs in back and I have the front slightly pitched down. I will continue to play with the settings. Thanks again.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
It could also be the adjustment nut has been turn so far up to achieve ride height that it is compressed close to the top of the shock travel thereby effectively increase effective spring rate.
Compressing a spring doesnít change its rate. Compressing the spring can add a lot of preload. I hate the ride when there is a lot of preload on the spring. Sometimes the ride improves when you go with a higher rate springs that requires less preload. This is purely my personal observation but I did get Brett at Ridetech to sort of agree with me on this once.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 10:23 AM
John

Garage

Yes preload will have the affect of a higher rate spring. It doesnít change the spring rate.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:02 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
They actually sound a little light but the spring rate varies with spring location and geometry. Is it a harsh metal to metal hit? If it is you are likely bottoming out the shock. Try putting the compression damping at max and see how it feels over the same pothole. Limit your experimentation to a single pothole for comparison purposes.

One thing folks often donít understand is that lowering the car generally requires higher spring rates to prevent bottoming out the suspension. The lower you go the stiffer it needs to be in general. Of course there are exceptions but this is the general rule. It is also why folks often complain of a harsh ride, especially if the coilover shocks have significantly less travel than the stock shock. This is why I often try to steer folks away from conversion coilovers....

Don

I agree, if you take a stock camaro with four inches of compression travel and lower it two inches, then you only have two inches of compression travel remaining. It's going to take a much stiffer coil to reduce wheel movement upwards when you hit a bump. But two inches of bump travel won't be able to absorb a bump like four inches does.

Stock Camaro coils are very soft and when the car hits a large bump or pot hole, the suspension hits the bump stops. When you lower the car it hits the bump stops sooner and it may be nearly hitting them now.

I would be looking at shock travel, and any bump stops that are on the shock shaft, then look at factory bump stops. I'd like to see 3/4" or 1" to the factory bump stop, the shock shaft bump stop will probably be closer, more like 1/2" but I prefer using the factory bump stop to limit travel. It takes the load off the shock. Trim your factory bump stop if it doesn't have 3/4" gap, try to keep the pointed shape, not flat, so the rate is progressive. I have found the factory Camaro seats make the ride worse because the seat springs cause the driver to bounce a lot. Tires make a difference in ride too, also air pressure settings. Oversize tires don't need 35 psi, try 28 for street driving. lower pressures reduce the spring rate of your tires. The air volume inside the tire casing affects the pressure you need to carry a load. The larger the tire, the less pressure needed, but a First Gen Camaro with stock poor front geometry will need some extra pressure to prevent tire edge roll over since the tire won't have ideal camber. If you have improved the geometry with tall ball joints and more caster, then less pressure works well.

450 is a good rate for a street car if the shocks are set right. For performance use you need a 600 to 650 coil to properly support the car and prevent hitting the bump stops all the time. Performance springs are needed when you have wide wheels and tires and lots of grip. If you are running 7" wide rims with BFG Radial TA's, then you don't need as much spring rate. With higher rate springs, the shock "bump" (compression) setting should be lowered because the spring is doing more work of supporting the car, or the wheel mass upward travel when a bump is hit. If you have soft rate coils, the compression setting needs to be raised to make up for the lack of spring rate. When you have too much compression in a shock it screws up the handling feel pretty quickly.
DT and dhutton like this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Jun 24th, 19 at 12:14 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Yes preload will have the affect of a higher rate spring. It doesnít change the spring rate.
It is far worse imho because of all that stored energy in the preload. Just my opinion.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 11:09 AM
T.C.

a 450 # Spring on those Vikings would be the Correct Rate for your car & the LS motor
DT and Tommo98765 like this.

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Went for a wheel alignment and the ride improved night and day. I think the tires were hitting the fenders during bumps etc, therefore the banging/harshness. I'm running 17x8 with 4.75 BS and 235/45/17 tires, fronts. Not sure how all the guys running this set-up are not complaining about tire rub. Thank god for the 5* positive Caster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode