Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

3Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805
  • 2 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bleeding Rear Brakes

I put on some Speedbleeders and when I bleed my brakes, only the front brakes are bleeding but the rears brakes are not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Bleeding Rear Brakes

The first thing that comes to mind is the rear flex hose being collapsed internally.
You should be starting at the right rear wheel, then left rear, right front, left front
bleeding one wheel at a time. Is this a complete new brake system or? More info is needed.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech

I find gravity bleeding works very well. Try removing the speed bleeders entirely and let the brakes gravity bleed. Keep the MC fluid topped off during gravity bleed

as noted your soft line near the rear end may be restricted or collapsed if it is old. Good time to replace if it is unknown age...along with the fronts also
rp930 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:23 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is the rear flex hose being collapsed internally.
You should be starting at the right rear wheel, then left rear, right front, left front
bleeding one wheel at a time. Is this a complete new brake system or? More info is needed.
allanjs, I am currently replacing my 51 year-old flex hoses, master and two wheel cylinders and will soon be bleeding my '68 Firebird. (I'm going to use try a vacuum bleeder method.) The 1968 Pontiac Service Manual recommends left front, right front, left rear, right rear order. Is the sequence you mention a more current recommendation? I'm assuming the same brake hydraulics Chevy/Pontiac in '68.

Jim

Jim
68 400HO Conv.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

Unless there is something unique about the 68 Bird.....every car/year/model I have bleed brakes on is starting with wheel the furthest away from MC. RR, LR, RF, LF...

Gravity bleed I do rears first (both same time) then fronts
rp930 and tuxedoblack like this.

Last edited by SoCal805; Jul 4th, 19 at 11:54 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Conv400HO View Post
allanjs, I am currently replacing my 51 year-old flex hoses, master and two wheel cylinders and will soon be bleeding my '68 Firebird. (I'm going to use try a vacuum bleeder method.) The 1968 Pontiac Service Manual recommends left front, right front, left rear, right rear order. Is the sequence you mention a more current recommendation? I'm assuming the same brake hydraulics Chevy/Pontiac in '68.

Jim
Jim, The sequence I described has been the recommended method for decades. Bleed the longest
line first and then progressively shorter lines. That was my training as a certified brake, suspension,
and alignment tech in the early 70's and have always used this method with success. I have used a
pressure bleeder but never a vacuum bleeder. Just never had the need.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 12:04 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks SoCal and Al. I just researched the firstgenfirebird.org and found the same question; Pontiac Service Manual verses usual practice. It still seems a mystery. One comment mentioned master cylinder bleeders but only some Birds (including mine) and Tempests got those. Since front and rear are separate hydraulics anyway it may not be that critical. I'll probably bleed the front MC and then the front as I am currently doing the parts changes there first. Then do the rear parts and then bleed its system. Finally, I'll do a second bleeding using your order when all else is done.

Jim
68 400HO Conv.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 12:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Bench bleed the master cylinder first. Always. I have always used the farthest and worked towards the shortest line. Never had a problem. The vacuum method is no better than having someone pump the brakes in my opinion. I have one. Tried it twice, now its just in the corner of the shop. Gravity bleeding is always a good start. Like mentioned don't let the MC go dry.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Took this from another forum. Best explanation I have seen from one of the guys there.

Look at it as two separate brake systems, front and rear. There are two separate pistons in the master cylinder, the only thing tying them together is a spring and brake fluid.

Which ever port on the master cylinder is closest to the brake pedal is the system that you bleed first. Starting with the farthest caliper in that end of the system.

So in the case of the DSE setup, the front port is rear brakes and the rear port is front brakes. You would bleed the front brakes first starting with the passenger side caliper. The reason being is that the front piston won't really stroke all the way until the rear piston is bled. It just makes the job go faster, you can certainly do it "wrong" and be successful, I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84BF1D1A-70A9-4DD2-A66E-C282C3772E6A.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	227941  

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 05:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Took this from another forum. Best explanation I have seen from one of the guys there.

Look at it as two separate brake systems, front and rear. There are two separate pistons in the master cylinder, the only thing tying them together is a spring and brake fluid.

Which ever port on the master cylinder is closest to the brake pedal is the system that you bleed first. Starting with the farthest caliper in that end of the system.

So in the case of the DSE setup, the front port is rear brakes and the rear port is front brakes. You would bleed the front brakes first starting with the passenger side caliper. The reason being is that the front piston won't really stroke all the way until the rear piston is bled. It just makes the job go faster, you can certainly do it "wrong" and be successful, I have.
Don, in the picture, which are you calling "Front Port" and which are you calling "Rear Port". If I'm looking at the diagram, to me, the one closest to the brake pedal is the "Rear Port", which on our cars is the rear brakes. Am I seeing it wrong?

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Your right Brett. Primary would be front brakes.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Don, in the picture, which are you calling "Front Port" and which are you calling "Rear Port". If I'm looking at the diagram, to me, the one closest to the brake pedal is the "Rear Port", which on our cars is the rear brakes. Am I seeing it wrong?

Brett.....
He is referring to the port closest to the front of the car as the front port.

He is saying the port closest to the rear of the car should be bled first regardless of which brakes it is connected to....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes, I did start in the proper order: right rear, left rear, right front, then left front. Only the fronts bleed. I did a front disc brake conversion in 2005 so only the front brake fluid hoses were change during that year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode