Installing front sway bar - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Installing front sway bar

Hi guys, apologies if this has been covered, but I didnt really see this in my search. (close but not quite).
Im having a hell of a time installing a front sway bar on my '68 coupe BB. I have a 1" front (maybe 1-1/8"? but that 1/8" isnt whats stopping me). I followed the directions it came with but its not even close to happening.

One of the directions say to remove the drivers shock and feed it through the spring. Even with my suspension at full drop (on the jack stands and wheel off) the space between the coils isnt even close to fitting the bar through.

I can get the bar most of the way to the other side but not that last mile... it goes in with the arms facing forward to get it that far but then cant turn it so its oriented correctly.

During the rebuild process many years ago, one was not put in. When I got the car, it didnt even have one (but all the proper holes are there), and thought "Ill do that later". Yup, should have done it before.

Its a pretty much stock suspension, not drop spindles, not tubular A arms, nothing. Its stock other than rotors and calipers.

Any tips appreciated!

68 RS/SS 496 T56 6 Speed Tuxedo black w/ white bumblebee. Strange Dana 60, Spicer 3.73 Helical Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Installing front sway bar

When I replaced my original 7/8" swaybar with a new 1-1/8" one the extra 1/4" did make a difference. The old one came out easy but the new one was a PITA to get installed. I started by feeding it in from the passenger side. You have to do a lot of twisting and turning to feed it in. You might also have to turn the wheels one way or another at certain points. I had to remove the pulleys from the harmonic balancer and remove the power steering pump bracket. Even with all that I had to loosen the driver side lower ball joint and drop the lower A-arm an inch or so.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Wow, OK thanks for that input. I was definitely noticing that if I take out the harmonic balancer I MIGHT be able to get it in. I have a large capacity Canton pan too, which flares out at the bottom and also getting in the way.

68 RS/SS 496 T56 6 Speed Tuxedo black w/ white bumblebee. Strange Dana 60, Spicer 3.73 Helical Gears

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 12:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

I think I had to partially disassemble the drivers side suspension to get it in.

It is a PITA as I installed a 1-1/8" bar last fall.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech

...well FWIW I just pulled the DS front wheel with the car on jack stands and just fed it through (1 1/8" bar) twisting it some as I went but it was no big deal. 327 car. stock A arms, 1 1/2" drop springs

If you put it in upside down it is harder so just make sure you have it going in right side up (center curved section pointing down)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Thanks Guys. Ill give it another go when I have a little time, and maybe find someone to give me a hand. good to know it can be done!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode