I am currently in the process of gathering information and creating a list of parts I'll need to purchase for the complete subframe refresh on my 68 Camaro street/strip build. I've been looking at all the different parts and options on the market, researching the downfalls of the first-gen front suspension and what would be applicable to a street/strip build and have come up with a list I feel would be a good start.
To give some background information on the car:
- 68 Camaro - full steel, full interior, currently on a rotissiere getting a full rebuild.
- 540 Big block, a little over 700HP but it's likely more engine work will happen before the motor goes into the car
- TH400. Converter somewhere over 4500RPM, maybe around 5000RPM, to be confirmed.
- Somewhere in the range of 3.9 - 4.11 rear gears, 9" diff
- Standard tub, hoping to fit a 275/60/15 M/T ET Street S/S
- Plan for rear suspension is a shortened 9", caltracs, split mono leaf
Parts list for the front suspension so far consists of:
Delrin bushings from Ridetech
Standard size ball joints
Upgraded sway bar
Ridetech or DSE
Ridetech steering kit
Inner/Outer tie rod ends
Billet tie rod adjusters
CP500/400 steering box
Weld-in chassis connectors and solid body mounts - considering types at the moment
Viking coilovers A224-450TK (w/ double adjustable shock)
Wilwood front discs
Upper/lower bump stops for control arms
Full front suspension hardware kit (subframe has been apart before and most of the hardware is missing or wrong)
Ultimately, my goal for the car is to be able to drive to the track, run a 9 second pass and drive home (about a 120KM round-trip). I also want to be able to cruise this car on the streets a few times a month. My tolerance to a slightly harsher ride is probably higher than most (I have other cars that are lowered and have stiffer suspension setups that I don't mind), I'm not expecting superb corner carving ability through 3.5" front runners and I'm not expecting a super comfortable ride from a car designed to do this.
So with all of this in mind, is there any recommendations that people can make on my current parts list; where I can make changes to help with the goal of the car, ride quality, etc? Hopefully we get some good information in this thread that can help others with first-gen street/strip builds and their front suspension choices. There seems to be a lot of pro-touring info but no where near as much for those who want to get fast in a straight line. Additionally, some specific questions:
- Should I consider going to a taller ball joint? As I understand it, more negative camber but at the downfall of more bump steer. Bump steer can then be brought back to normal levels with additional parts
- I've been advised in discussions with Viking that their coilover setup works with stock control arms. Has anyone got experience with this?
- Sway bar; does anyone have experiences with Ridetech compared to DSE?
- Does anyone have experiences with CP steering boxes? I am looking to gain a better ratio in a more compact box as I'll need the header clearance.
- Guldstrand mod; worth doing for a street/strip build?