Team Camaro Tech banner

Single leaf springs to multi-leaf springs

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Troutslayer 
#1 ·
Guys - I put a 400hp small block (from Blueprint engines) into my '68. It had a stock 327, 210hp; standard 3:08 gears in the rear end. I am thinking about beefing up the rear end; i.e. posi-trac. and stiffer suspension. I was thinking about changing out my single leaf springs to multi-leaf springs. Can you tell me: Is this a good idea? How easy is the process to change them out? And what will I need? I'd like to keep the stock height. Thank you.

#4 ·
CalTracs/Split Monos for sure if you intend to launch at the track LOL. If you're just looking for a stiffer street/cruise suspension, give Mike a call at Eaton Detroit Spring. IIRC, they sell a 3-leaf pack that replaces the mono leaf without changing the perches. They can also customize your springs and help on ride height. New multi-leaf perches would give you even more leaf options (Hotchkis, Detroit Speed, etc.).

#15 ·
Kevin, when you say rough, is it the roughness of feeling seemingly every crack in the pavement? My old 67 C10 with 4 wheel coil springs was that rough, but wondering if you car was similar?

I went with the Eaton Detroit Spring multi-leaf setup and conversion kit. Ride is perfect height and the ride is great. Great upgrade. Very pleased with this modification. Thanks all.

So what Eaton spring did they sell you? Any idea what the spring rate is? I am switching out my 10 bolt to a 12 bolt in a month or two, but am debating if it is worth replacing my 25 year old, 3 leaf springs that are currently in the car. But am unsure what rate to go with.....

#14 ·
I went with the Eaton Detroit Spring multi-leaf setup and conversion kit. Ride is perfect height and the ride is great. Great upgrade. Very pleased with this modification. Thanks all.

Reactions: 57vette
#18 ·
Spring rate on the website of Detroit Eaton indicates 126. All i know is I like the stiffer ride and I bought their recommended shocks to go with it as well. It doesn't feel too stiff to me and I went with the following:

What I went with:
ML 1593 - 4 Spring replacement for stock ride height
IKGC 5005 - Mono to Multi-leaf replacement kit
KYBKG 5521 for multi-leaf springs

Here's the website: https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/db/es-partsinquiry.php?

I really like the ride. Mine is a convertible and i still have all 4 cocktail shakers in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.