Which tall upper ball joint - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Which tall upper ball joint

This post is a side note to my post on my "baffling" suspension issue. I'm going to reinstall the stock spindles on my Ride Tech control arms as a test. I'm told I need to have a tall ball joint to prevent binding with the Ride Tech upper arm. Proforged make a .5 inch tall and a .9 inch extra tall ball joint. I currently have the tall L&H spindles which are 1 1/2 taller than stock.

My question is which tall ball joint would work better, the .5 or .9? The .9 seems like an obvious choice as I already have been using a 1 1/2 inch taller spindle, but that also seems like a lot of leverage on the ball joint.

I'm also going to order the tall outer tie rod ends as recommended to help reduce bumpsteer.

I've check David Pozzi's site but I can only find info on the .5 ball joint.

Thanks for any insight.

Joe

Joe G

69 Coupe; ZZ430; TKO600; 3.55 posi; 13" Baer 4 wheel discs; 17" Billet Specialties wheels; Hotchkis/Koni rear; Ride Tech front; Classic AutoAir AC and power windows cuz I'm old and lazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Which tall upper ball joint

My research on Ridetech indicates the Ride Tech arms are engineered for a 1.75 taller spindle. If you were to use those tall spindles with stock arms you would risk binding the upper ball joint sooner then full suspension travel. The same is true if you run ridetech arms with a standard height spindle. IMHO you need taller joints then what is available to put the joint in the center at normal ride height. I would not be concerned on the leverage as you call it as the upper joint is a follower and never really comes under any loading unless the wheels are off the ground.

Jeff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Thanks Jeff. For this test, I'm keeping the ride tech arms so I'm leaning toward the .9 inch joint. Thanks for the clarification on binding.

Joe

Joe G

69 Coupe; ZZ430; TKO600; 3.55 posi; 13" Baer 4 wheel discs; 17" Billet Specialties wheels; Hotchkis/Koni rear; Ride Tech front; Classic AutoAir AC and power windows cuz I'm old and lazy!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

I forgot to mention that I did send Ride Tech the information and asked for their advice but they have not yet responded. My Strong Arms are from 2013 so there may be some differences? I do not have the removable "pills" to change caster base lines.

Joe

Joe G

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode