Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
What suspension kit for 1968 Camaro?

Hello, I知 ordering front sway bars soon for better handling. And also thinking of replacing the front tires from 235/45/17 to 245/45/17 (keeping rears 275/40/17)

I知 also looking to lower the car a little? (Looks like I have some room, right? photos below)

Question: What suspension kit & other parts do i need to replace my current suspension or springs? If you could please send me links of suggested kits along with any complimentary components needed with it

Note: the car was purchased from a previous owner so i dont know what suspension work has been done to the car. And i have no contact with the person anymore. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
Help identify Shocks , Springs (68 Camaro)

Bought my 68 way back from a previous owner who rebuilt it - Restomod. I have no contact with him, and I'm trying to identify some of the parts below:

1) What KYB shocks are these?

I think the fronts are (KYB heavy duty ) Click Here

Front:

Rear:

2) Which KYB shocks are my rears?

From the looks of it, i have multi-leaf springs. Is that correct?

I found 2 types of KYB shocks (Mono: Click Here / Multi: Click Here)

3) Is there anyway to identify what brand/type of Leaf & Coil Springs I have?

Thank you very much.

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
Re: What suspension kit for 1968 Camaro?

These are my current shocks, coils and leaf springs (started another thread helping to identify the parts)

Thread link: CLICK HERE

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Help identify Shocks , Springs (68 Camaro)

KYB "gas-a-just"....https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Chevrol...sAAOxyBotTaOmK with multi-leaf springs. A very STIFF set-up...
yellow69RS likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
Help identify Shocks , Springs (68 Camaro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
KYB "gas-a-just"....https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Chevrol...sAAOxyBotTaOmK with multi-leaf springs. A very STIFF set-up...

Thanks for the info. Yeah its stiff and rear leafs are wearing out. The ones you sent are gray vs the ones i have in white (like the link i have above) or is it the same just color difference?

I dont know what coil springs are on, if I were to replace the coils & leafs, What should i go with?

Thanks

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 05:21 AM
Team Member
Don

Put a full Ridetech Street Grip kit on it and call it done.

Don
Niblet and Just 1 More like this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Put a full Ridetech Street Grip kit on it and call it done.

Don
Hi Don, thanks for getting back. Is this the kit you're referring to?
https://www.ridetech.com/products/st...etgrip-system/

It's a little over my budget now, since i plan to go with front sways, maybe Helwigg, for now. And also not sure if my KYB shocks should be replaced or not.

Trying to figure out what coil springs I have on the car, and the ride height. I plan to go a little lower since it looks like I have some room/gap.

I currently have 235/45/17 & 275/40/17 --planning to go 245s up front

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 05:41 AM
John

Garage

You have spacers stuck in the front springs. Put there I知 guessing to raise the front.

I壇 start by taking them out.

Appear to be stock springs front and rear. The front coils may have been cut at some time and could be why the spacer was installed to stop running if they were cut too short.
Just 1 More likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; Oct 22nd, 19 at 05:59 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
What suspension kit for 1968 Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You have spacers stuck in the front springs. Put there I知 guessing to raise the front.

I壇 start by taking them out.

Appear to be stock springs front and rear. The front coils may have been cut at some time and could be why the spacer was installed to stop running if they were cut too short.

Is this the spacer you're referring to?

if they're stock, then I might go with new coils with a little lower drop with some room left to avoid rubbing if im going with 245/45 in the front.

My leaf springs are also worn out.

So my question is: If I plan to just get: Front Sway + Multi Leafs + Coils

-Which would you recommend?
-What drop would be good? Front/back?

-I have KYB shocks, will any of the parts i want fit with those shocks or would i have to change that too?

Thank you

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 07:04 AM
John

Garage

Personally I would wait until I could do the Ridetech StreetGrip.

Anything else and using parts are not engineered to compliment each other may be a waste of $.

You could go Hotchkiss frnt and rear springs and Front sway bar along with a good set of adjustable shocks.
https://www.hotchkis.net/product/196...p-small-block/

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/196...k=&yr=&md=&sm=

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/hot...9&md=432&sm=20

Or better yet the complete TVS for $1600

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/196...9&md=432&sm=20
Just 1 More likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I you lower the car, 245's can cause some rubbing issues. The suspension depends on how you drive the car and what is your objective? Why do you think the rear springs are shot? I would install stock or 2 inch lowering springs from Eaton spring company. If you contact them, they can advise what you need. Monroe, Gabriel or Delco HD gas shocks are not as stiff as the KYB or many of the after market shocks. . . . .and they are more reasonably priced, check with Summit, they may help you with everything you need at your budget.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Personally I would wait until I could do the Ridetech StreetGrip.

Anything else and using parts are not engineered to compliment each other may be a waste of $.

You could go Hotchkiss frnt and rear springs and Front sway bar along with a good set of adjustable shocks.
https://www.hotchkis.net/product/196...p-small-block/

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/hot...9&md=432&sm=20

Or better yet the complete TVS for $1600

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/196...9&md=432&sm=20

Appreciate the help. I'll take a look at the links

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
I you lower the car, 245's can cause some rubbing issues. The suspension depends on how you drive the car and what is your objective? Why do you think the rear springs are shot? I would install stock or 2 inch lowering springs from Eaton spring company. If you contact them, they can advise what you need. Monroe, Gabriel or Delco HD gas shocks are not as stiff as the KYB or many of the after market shocks. . . . .and they are more reasonably priced, check with Summit, they may help you with everything you need at your budget.
I'll be street driving only, no track/drag/auto cross. I just had an alignment done, and mechanic said the rears look worn out. Also, rear right side sits lower than left.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

I have the KYB Gas Adjust shocks like yours all the way around on my '69. The ride is firm but not harsh. The car had new front and rear springs, I think they'r stock when I bought it. I added a 1 1/8" front sway bar, with this combination I feel the car handles great, fun to drive and not uncomfortable.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJProX View Post
I have the KYB Gas Adjust shocks like yours all the way around on my '69. The ride is firm but not harsh. The car had new front and rear springs, I think they'r stock when I bought it. I added a 1 1/8" front sway bar, with this combination I feel the car handles great, fun to drive and not uncomfortable.

Shocks feel stiff, like hard when u hit a pothole.

Anyways for now I might just stick with new leaf springs 1.5 drop and front sways and see how that goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
68 camaro, identify, shocks, springs, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode