Team Camaro Tech banner

What suspension kit for 1968 Camaro?

19K views 97 replies 13 participants last post by  majj35 
#1 ·
Hello, I’m ordering front sway bars soon for better handling. And also thinking of replacing the front tires from 235/45/17 to 245/45/17 (keeping rears 275/40/17)

I’m also looking to lower the car a little? (Looks like I have some room, right? photos below)

Question: What suspension kit & other parts do i need to replace my current suspension or springs? If you could please send me links of suggested kits along with any complimentary components needed with it

Note: the car was purchased from a previous owner so i dont know what suspension work has been done to the car. And i have no contact with the person anymore. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Help identify Shocks , Springs (68 Camaro)

Bought my 68 way back from a previous owner who rebuilt it - Restomod. I have no contact with him, and I'm trying to identify some of the parts below:

1) What KYB shocks are these?

I think the fronts are (KYB heavy duty ) Click Here

Front:

Rear:

2) Which KYB shocks are my rears?

From the looks of it, i have multi-leaf springs. Is that correct?

I found 2 types of KYB shocks (Mono: Click Here / Multi: Click Here)

3) Is there anyway to identify what brand/type of Leaf & Coil Springs I have?

Thank you very much.

#5 ·
Help identify Shocks , Springs (68 Camaro)

KYB "gas-a-just"....https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Chevro...703237&hash=item2339f877ff:g:0CsAAOxyBotTaOmK with multi-leaf springs. A very STIFF set-up...

Thanks for the info. Yeah its stiff and rear leafs are wearing out. The ones you sent are gray vs the ones i have in white (like the link i have above) or is it the same just color difference?

I dont know what coil springs are on, if I were to replace the coils & leafs, What should i go with?

Thanks

#7 ·
Hi Don, thanks for getting back. Is this the kit you're referring to?
https://www.ridetech.com/products/streetgrip/1968-1972-gm-a-body-streetgrip-system/

It's a little over my budget now, since i plan to go with front sways, maybe Helwigg, for now. And also not sure if my KYB shocks should be replaced or not.

Trying to figure out what coil springs I have on the car, and the ride height. I plan to go a little lower since it looks like I have some room/gap.

I currently have 235/45/17 & 275/40/17 --planning to go 245s up front

#8 · (Edited)
You have spacers stuck in the front springs. Put there I’m guessing to raise the front.

I’d start by taking them out.

Appear to be stock springs front and rear. The front coils may have been cut at some time and could be why the spacer was installed to stop running if they were cut too short.

#9 ·
You have spacers stuck in the front springs. Put there I’m guessing to raise the front.

I’d start by taking them out.

Appear to be stock springs front and rear. The front coils may have been cut at some time and could be why the spacer was installed to stop running if they were cut too short.

Is this the spacer you're referring to?

if they're stock, then I might go with new coils with a little lower drop with some room left to avoid rubbing if im going with 245/45 in the front.

My leaf springs are also worn out.

So my question is: If I plan to just get: Front Sway + Multi Leafs + Coils

-Which would you recommend?
-What drop would be good? Front/back?

-I have KYB shocks, will any of the parts i want fit with those shocks or would i have to change that too?

Thank you

#10 ·
Personally I would wait until I could do the Ridetech StreetGrip.

Anything else and using parts are not engineered to compliment each other may be a waste of $.

You could go Hotchkiss frnt and rear springs and Front sway bar along with a good set of adjustable shocks.
https://www.hotchkis.net/product/19...ont-sport-coil-springs-2-in-drop-small-block/

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/19...in-drop-also-fits-68-74-nova/?mk=&yr=&md=&sm=

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/19...om-hotchkis-sport-suspension/?mk=&yr=&md=&sm=

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/ho...k-67-69-gm-f-body/?mk=47&yr=1969&md=432&sm=20

Or better yet the complete TVS for $1600

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/19...-sport-suspension/?mk=47&yr=1969&md=432&sm=20

#11 ·
I you lower the car, 245's can cause some rubbing issues. The suspension depends on how you drive the car and what is your objective? Why do you think the rear springs are shot? I would install stock or 2 inch lowering springs from Eaton spring company. If you contact them, they can advise what you need. Monroe, Gabriel or Delco HD gas shocks are not as stiff as the KYB or many of the after market shocks. . . . .and they are more reasonably priced, check with Summit, they may help you with everything you need at your budget.

#13 ·
I'll be street driving only, no track/drag/auto cross. I just had an alignment done, and mechanic said the rears look worn out. Also, rear right side sits lower than left.

#15 ·
Shocks feel stiff, like hard when u hit a pothole.

Anyways for now I might just stick with new leaf springs 1.5” drop and front sways and see how that goes.

#18 ·
Get a Hotchkis TVS kit or Ridetech street grip kit. That would be the easiest all in one kit with one set of instructions.

I had a complete Hotchkis lowered kit with ridetech shocks, I thought it was great for spirited street driving,even a little autocross.

When I first put my car on the road 3 years or so ago, I put brand new KYB Gas adjusts on, no exaggeration, I removed them after a few laps around the block. In my opinion,I think 4 bags of gravel may have been a better choice.

#21 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Initially, I would love to go with either the Hotchkis TVS or RideTech StreetGrip kit. However, I just recently finished my ls2 build, so I'm kind of tight on budget.

Next 4 months here we'll have cooler weather and would love to enjoy driving the car more often, just need to fix the wobbly situation for now. Did an alignment last night, which helped a lot!!

I'm thinking of getting Front Sways , Spring leafs , and a new set of tires for now (mine are way too old). (What do you think??)

I'm currently having difficulty finding 275/40/17 for rears .. trying to find which website ships internationally.

#23 · (Edited)
Did some more research between Hotchkis & RideTech, both good, but need some advice. I have the KYB Gas-aJust Shocks, which I plan to replace later on.

I'm not ready to get a full kit yet. So I'm only looking for (two options):

Option A: Front Sways and Leaf Springs.
Option B: Front Sways and Shocks.

Goal: Better street handling, smother ride, even out car height, I don't like having the rear noticeably higher than front, lower a little.

Quick recap for new users (skip this part if you read my setup above)

I'm looking to improve steering and even out ride height (preferably a little lower than my current height - see images above)

My Wheel setup: 17x8 with 4.5 backspace. Tires are: 235/45 & 275/40. I'm looking to replace my tires and might go with this setup 245/45 or 50 if available & 265/50

Compared them in a table below for sways & leafs. Would it be better to stick with one brand? or is it fine to mix and match parts? Thank you

Unidentified:
1) Sway: What does the hotchkis include? will buying that part just fit in. As you can see, RideTech includes the arms, bushings etc..

2) Leaf: What drop" for the RideTech?

#24 ·
Front Coils and Shocks on all four corner. Those KYBs are TRUCK shocks. They're horrible. I had those, car drove like a brick. Went to Edelbrocks, they were a vast improvement, then the Bilstien that used to come with the Hotchkis, another good improvement. I'm sure the newer ridetech or Fox will be even better. The nice thing about hotchkis is you can buy the parts one at a time. There is a kit discount, but if budget won't allow, start with their springs and shocks. Sway bars will help with cornering, they will not improve the "ride quality" going straight.

#26 ·
Ok so after 5 days of researching i think I’ve decided what best to go with.

Throwing out the rear leafs + front stock coils and getting a RideTech HQ coilovers front & back.

Hows that for now?

#27 · (Edited)
So now you’re installing a four link rear suspension?

Will those front coilovers work with your stock control arms?

You should have listened to those who recommended the Street Grip solution because it sounds like you are off the rails at this point.... Did a single person in this thread recommend coilovers?

Don

#29 ·
The four link and coilovers will likely cost more than the street grip. Not to mention if you need new lower control arms. Maybe you need a new mechanic... :grin2:

Don

Reactions: Vega$69
#31 ·
Yeah i just realized that this needs a 4 link , arms etc.. my bad. Still learning and reading.

Maybe just replace the shocks and front coils ..

#37 ·
So i spoke to RideTech about the Street Grip and I mentioned im on 235/45 & 275/40

They said it would fit perfectly, they sent me a photo of their shop car I think with the exact wheel & tire setup as mine.

Still might be doing that kit in 2 stages:

1) all shocks & front springs
2) all the remaining items

Nevertheless, still looking for 265/40 since most of you said it would rub in the back with 275. Posting their car and mine below.

#38 ·
Still might be doing that kit in 2 stages:

1) all shocks & front springs
2) all the remaining items

Just a note and I have no idea if it is a problem but, Make sure the front springs will work with stock lower arms. They may.

I only say this because I am going with Detroit lower arms and they only work with their custom springs. I used Detroit speeds upper arms and they are awesome. The caster adjustment is very cool. They changed the geometry of the arms too. I installed them yesterday and took the car for a ride. Just changing the upper arms alone made a good difference in tightening things up.

I'm adding Bilstein shocks all around tonight. Going to add Detroit lower arms and springs next weekend. DS products seem pricey but, very high quality.

#43 ·
Hey guys, so managed to gather funds to go with a full kit instead of buying the parts bit by bit.

Need your final help.

Comes down to RideTech Street Grip vs Hotchkis TVS 1 + adding shocks separately

Which kit is considered better? What crucial parts are included in one of the kits , that the other doesnt ? For example, streetgrip includes control arm bushings and ball joints, tvs doesnt.

Please let me know. Thank you

#44 ·
Street Grip addresses steering geometry which Hotchkis does not. Rear springs are better too.

Don

#45 ·
Anyone recommend where best to buy the kit from(website)? International Shipping

Got good deals on the kit from vendors here, but shipping was too high.

So far, summit has the best shipping rate with UPS expedited

#46 ·
Call Matt @ Mattsclassicbowties.com Defintely CALL them, or E-mail would probably work

Matt's Classic Bowties
5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
Benicia
Solano
California
United States
Phone:
925-828-5555
Fax:
925-272-0545
Email:
sales@mcbparts.com
Phone (orders):
(866)628-8746
Fax (orders):
925-272-0545
Email (orders):
sales@mcbparts.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.