• 2 Post By NashvilleCat
  • 2 Post By racinrod67
  • 1 Post By davidpozzi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Front Suspension Mix & Match

I am having an issue with the Hotchkis TVS sway bar mating up with the SpeedTech tubular lower control arms. Car is jacked up with the weight off both wheels. The geometry seems to be off, not sure if I should shorten the spacer or what to do here. If the link is tightened up to the bar then it won't line up with the LCA heim joint

If I loosen the link from the bar and screw it into the heim joint then the geometry is off on the top.

When I get the passenger side installed then there is no way to get the drivers side installed unless I pry up on the bar, but won't this put the suspension travel into a bind?

This is the spacing when the weight is on both wheels.......

Can I just leave the spacer out and use a shorter bolt??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 10:48 PM
Team Member
Darin

What did you have first the arms or the bar ? Did your supplier know what parts you were working with and said it would work ?
I think it’s a bad match, doesn’t look like it will work and you’re going to need pony up for the speed tech bar now.
Craigslist the Hotchkis one or sell it here.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 07:38 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Front Suspension Mix & Match

It is common to have to adjust spacer lengths with sway bars. It wonít affect performance if you do.

Hard to tell in pics but make sure the bar isnít upside down. Seen it done before.....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinrod67 View Post

When I get the passenger side installed then there is no way to get the drivers side installed unless I pry up on the bar, but won't this put the suspension travel into a bind?

I would not be too concerned about this misalignment here as it appears to be about 1/4" off. I think that could be compression in the rubber upper links causing that.

Jeff
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
What did you have first the arms or the bar ? Did your supplier know what parts you were working with and said it would work ?
I think itís a bad match, doesnít look like it will work and youíre going to need pony up for the speed tech bar now.
Craigslist the Hotchkis one or sell it here.
Neither, this is all new stuff. I stripped all the stock suspension out of the car. I purchased everything from Camaro Central, the Speed Tech Pro Touring front suspension package (tubular control arms and coil overs) and the Hotchkis TVS system (leaf springs and sway bars). There was no statement on the website that the LCA would not work with anything but their own sway bar. I never thought there would be an issue, but obviously there is.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
It is common to have to adjust spacer lengths with sway bars. It wonít affect performance if you do.

Hard to tell in pics but make sure the bar isnít upside down. Seen it done before.....

Don
Bar is definitely installed correctly, there is a dip in the center to clear the crank pulley. I'm going to remove it and measure the link mounting holes center to center and compare to the stock one.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
I would not be too concerned about this misalignment here as it appears to be about 1/4" off. I think that could be compression in the rubber upper links causing that.

Jeff
Problem is that to get it to move that 1/4 inch I have to pry the thing into position, something is going to be in a bind.....its not right.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech

"mixing" aftermarket suspension components can lead to this kind of conflict

Did you reach out to Speed Tech and or Hotchkis to see if their parts play well together?

If not than you will need to use Hotchkis lower arms with their bar or get a Speed Tech bar
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 02:04 PM
Team Member
Don

If shortening the spacers works you are good to go.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Hotchkis and Speedtech do not do compatibility testing with each otherís parts. That is unrealistic to say the least....

Don
eville likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you that Hotchkis and Speedtech do not do compatibility testing with each otherís parts. That is unrealistic to say the least....

Don
yeah...IDK if in any of the 411 that either comes with or is noted on their sites per their respective front end kits if they say "must use our sway bar with X or "some modification to..." type of note but very likely, as OP is noticing, that some "modification" needs to be done using stock or other brand sway bar with their control arms or vice versa

Trimming the spacers may resolve his issue....but won't know until he tries and if not then it would be difficult to return or sell the "cut down" say bar.....

You can buy tube stock at some hardware store to cut up for mock up to see if that works and if so then cut the ones that came in the kit to that size if you want to preserve the ones until you know if the cut down idea works
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 02:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

I think you are "over-thinking" this.

The rubber biscuits almost never seat perfectly in the sway bar ends. There is always a slight misalignment.

Just tighten it up and road test it. There doesn't appear to be any slack in the connections to me. It should work fine.
yellow69RS and BMR Suspension like this.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Too busy traveling for work, just now getting around to following up. I needed to take the time for a closer look at this. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I dropped the sway bar down to get a good measurement of the link holes center to center. They were 1/4" wider than the stock bar. Called Hotchkis and they confirmed that extra distance is by design to allow for correct link geometry on lowered front ends....makes sense.

Then I compared the set of links that came with the Hotchkis bar (which are the same dimension as the stock ones) to the SpeedTech ones. Since the mount for the heim joint is .75 inches higher than where the stock link would mount to the stock LCA, the SpeedTech links were too tall

Removed the link spacers, used a shorter bolt and now the geometry is good.

dhutton and Just 1 More like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 04:12 PM
David Pozzi

Are your photos taken with the car weight on it's wheels?
SoCal805 likes this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Are your photos taken with the car weight on it's wheels?
Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in