Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage
Pinion Angle Help

Car is a 1969 with a 12 bolt rear. I know nothing on the history of the car or the 12 bolt thats in it. I am doing a Resto Mod, TKO600 with a LS3. Got the Engine and Trans put in last night and started looking at the drive line angles. The pinion angle has about 10 degrees of drop. I know this is way to much but I dont know why or what to do about it. Springs are 1.5 drops from Hotchkis. Springs are multiLeaf but the perches are monos. Is there a way to check and see if the perches have been welded on wrong? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Pinion Angle Help

The perches should be welded at 6* to the pinion. This link will help explain.
The pinion angle needs to be checking with the suspension loaded at ride height.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/27-tr...-question.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

Thank you! At least I have a starting point to check.
allanjs likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

I think I found the issue. Below are my results. The yellow one is the one from the post referenced above. Looks like they are welded wrong. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12_bolt1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	230307  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Greg, If your pinion is sitting at 0* then yes it appears the perch is off 10*. Yikes that's a lot.
The perches don't mount straight. I believe they are to be angled inward 2* each. Narrower
towards the front of the car. You'll have to do some searching to be sure. I've seen measurements
here somewhere. Do you see evidence the perches were moved? Are you sure the rear end is
from a 1st gen?

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

I looked up the numbers, it seems to be a 1st gen 12 bolt. The welds on the perches look a little cobbled up, so I am guessing that at some point they have been off. I had the pinion at 0. This would explain why my angle is off 10*. At least this gives me a chance to get the multileaf perches and weld them on. I assume I need to swap shock plates as well. I really appreciate the help on this. Been driving my nuts for the past week.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Greg, This post at CRG should help you. Reply #21 has a few pics. Unfortunately Photo Bucket
has trashed the other pics. If you're not a member at CRG you can join for free. You may have
to be a member to see the pics in reply #21.
factory 1969 12 bolt pinion angle

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Better pics here.
Alignment to Weld Spring Perches

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

Those pictures really help. Do I need to disassemble the gears and bearing before I have the new ones welded on? I just rebuilt it and I'm not looking forward to that Also, do I need shock plates to match the Multileaf perch?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Greg, I would drain it and pull the axles. Shouldn't need to remove the carrier/gears.
Just cover them for protection. After you're done welding you can pull a rag through
the tubes to wipe any interior residue created from welding. I would use multi shock
plates. I believe Detroit Spring (DSE) is the recommended supplier for shock plates.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

Thanks Al. I ordered new perches and the DSE plates this morning. Appreciate all the help on this.
allanjs likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 03:56 PM
David Pozzi

If you weld on the perches at a factory setting, you will have a good pinion angle if you use stock springs at stock ride height. If you then add Hotchkis lowering springs, the pinion angle will change and you may have to shim the axle to correct it. I would install the axle with perches and hold it together with the U bolts. Put the car on it's wheels and rotate pinion to the desired angle, tack weld the perches then remove and finish weld them.
I like to weld a brace front and rear as shown on this photo. It supports the perches better.
Chevy68 likes this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

Thanks for the idea, thats what I have been doing today. Have everything in place and ready to tack them in. One thing that is troubling me is the old perches measured 10" from perch to the inside of the tube where it goes into the axle. I have everything in place and Im getting around 9 7/8 on each side. Think this is an issue?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 06:50 PM
David Pozzi

There is a little bit of room on the front leaf mounting bracket to the unibody, those three bolts. The inboard one is the main locator. The other two holes in the bracket are oversize. I have seen variances in the amount the front bushing is pressed into the leaf eye. Had some leaf springs that fit better when swapped side for side.
I think 1/8 wont be a problem.
By the way, if horsepower is above stock, I delete the rubber leaf pads & add a steel shim if needed. I think it reduces the chance of wheel hop. I watched a Camaro on the chassis dyno & saw the axle rocking on the leaf quite a bit.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Garage

Thanks David! Appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode