Team Camaro Tech banner

How to get brake pin back in place once you find you can’t remove it

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  parkbrau 
#1 · (Edited)
I made mistake of trying to remove brake yoke/push rod when replacing master cylinder. Even though the manual said you could do this, the pin can not be removed on a 68 with manual brakes and clutch IF the pin was installed in the wrong direction. After I found I couldn’t remove it, I couldn’t get it to go back. I’m sure many here know why and it’s obvious when it out on floor but I couldn’t see it well enough up under dash and couldn’t find anything googling sites. I found reference that you can’t get pin out but not anything on getting it back. So this for whoever might do same stupid thing.

The return spring is on a retainer which is on the pin between brake and yoke. You can push the pin out far enough for it to fall into the groove in pin for the retaining clip. If you relieve the tension on it from spring you can wiggle the pin back into place.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I read in a few posts the same comment about an access hole but could not find anything when swearing at the thing.
I still have the brake assembly out and looked again - there indeed is a hole, but my pin was installed from the wrong direction. That is, the pin in my unit was installed from the clutch pedal side towards the brake pedal side. The hole is on the side which provides access if the pin was installed from the brake pedal side towards the clutch pedal.

I’ve had my car since 74 and have never had the brake assembly out of car. It’d be unlikely the nieghbor I bought it from would have had it out on a 6 year old car so I think it likely it was assembled that way. This would explain why some people, like me, report not being able to get pin out. Thanks, minor mystery solved for me.

#4 ·
The pin was probably put in when the pedals were out of the assembly. But yes your's is in backwards. That's the only explanation for your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.