Team Camaro Tech banner

1968 Camaro Ridetech suspension (review/issues)

38K views 114 replies 19 participants last post by  majj35 
#1 ·
Had a thread under a different topic, so thought I'd share my reviews, issues, and photos here.

I previously had all stock: coils w/spacer, kyb shocks, and multi-leaf springs. The ride height was good/aligned. I also had 235/45/17 & 275/40/17 tires. After asking for help choosing a suspension kit, many advised that my rear tire setup would cause rubbing etc.. so I downsized the rears to 245/45/17.

Photo below (before)

https://flic.kr/p/2hQAaPx

I ended up getting the Ridetech StreetGrip suspension, and just had it installed. Overall, I can't explain how happy I am with the handling/comfort difference.

However...the only issue that's causing me pain is finding the best solution to align the ride height. Currently, the front is too lowered compared to the rear.

I've been asking around, and speaking to some of you. I've been told to go with lowering blocks and some suggested to just get 2" leaf springs from summit.

Note: The ridetech leafs are mono, and my perches are multi-leaf.

https://flic.kr/p/2hV8LkW

I'm about to order the Ridetech 1" lowering block for Multi-leaf, but looking at photos below..I doubt the 1" will help align the height much. This is what it looks like now.

https://flic.kr/p/2hV6neX

I spoke with Ridetech, since they have this photo below of the streetgrip with the height aligned, yes meatier rears but still perfectly aligned. They suggested to go with the 1" lowering block. The other reason is the quarter in my car is rounded vs this 69..

https://flic.kr/p/2hXTBWB

What options would you suggest on doing to get the ride aligned as close as possible.

Just hoping to get more additional feedback on here, and photos of similar setups.

See less See more
#3 ·
Try the 1” lowering blocks. Do not change the leaf springs. You will destroy the ride quality given by the composite leaf spring.

If that doesn’t get you there a full tank of gas likely will. A slight forward rake will look fine.

Don

#7 ·
Try the 1” lowering blocks. Do not change the leaf springs. You will destroy the ride quality given by the composite leaf spring.

If that doesn’t get you there a full tank of gas likely will. A slight forward rake will look fine.
Don
Yeah, not planning to change them.

I think the 1” blocks will help you in the back. Is the vehicle realigned to the new Ridetech specs? Have you driven it much? If not the springs (especially the rear might settle. I would use this pic for your reference because there is a slight difference between 67-8 vs 69. Having trouble attaching a picture at the moment but look at the other pic in the add for the green 67/8 for new measurements.

https://www.ridetech.com/applications/musclecars/camaro/ridetech-1967-1969-camaro-streetgrip-system/
Sorry, what do you mean by realigned to ridetech spec? I wan't informed, just installed with no re-alignment. I've driven it for 2 days, not too much.

and yeah, the photos in the Ridetech website look different. Even the front of their cars is not as lowered as mine is.

1" block will only lower 1/2" so I think you'd be good too. Love my street grip too. Wish mine was 1/2" taller in back. I'm hoping the front settles just a tad.
Is that true, 1" will only lower 1/2"? .. if that's the case then I probably need to go with a 2" to drop the rear and have it as closely aligned as the fronts.

#4 ·
I think the 1” blocks will help you in the back. Is the vehicle realigned to the new Ridetech specs? Have you driven it much? If not the springs (especially the rear might settle. I would use this pic for your reference because there is a slight difference between 67-8 vs 69. Having trouble attaching a picture at the moment but look at the other pic in the add for the green 67/8 for new measurements.

https://www.ridetech.com/applications/musclecars/camaro/ridetech-1967-1969-camaro-streetgrip-system/

#6 ·
Really? Are you sure?

Pretty sure if you push the diff up one inch the car will drop one inch. At least that has been my experience.

Don

Reactions: yellow69RS
#8 ·
#9 ·
1" lowering block will lower it 1".

Are you front tire rubbing at all?

If so you can use some coil spring spacers to raise the front a litlle in addition to the 1" lowering blocks to get a better stance.

They come in different sizes from 1/2" to 1"

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-1103/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

So looking at my rear gap visually, 2” might get it to where I want. I’ll measure it once im home.

Yes, fronts rub when going over a bump or unever surfaces.

I used to have spacers on my stock coils, wouldn’t the spacers affect the coil performance, harsher ride? Or it doesnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
The stance of this car has me seriously questioning Ridetech’s engineering and/or quality control. I had a similar issue with a Street Grip package for an A body car.

Surely they can do better or at least include the lowering blocks in their kit. Not sure what to make of the front being too low.

Don

#14 ·
The stance of this car has me seriously questioning Ridetech’s engineering and/or quality control. I had a similar issue with a Street Grip package for an A body car.

Surely they can do better or at least include the lowering blocks in their kit. Not sure what to make of the front being too low.

Don

I wish I knew they offered the lowering block kit. Completely missed it on their website.

Regarding the front, other than it sits way lower than rear. Too low: no gap, fender covering part of the top tire, plus the rubbing.

#17 ·
Just measured the rear fender to top of tire gap. About 2.4”

Cant even measure the front lol

#23 ·
OP

I have the Ridetech front SBC lowering springs (progressive) that claim a 1 1/2" drop. I got 1 5/8". I used 2" lowering blocks on my rear mono leaf and got 2" drop from that.

You will need longer U bolts when adding 2" blocks

Which blocks did you use? Ridetech only has 1” and they do come with the u bolts

#24 · (Edited)
I bought mine from Speedway. I also got the 2 degree shims to correct the DL angle which changed because of the lowering blocks. You may or may not need them so just check DL angle once the blocks are installed

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop...983-1967-47-432-10191-1-949-4712-16-314-31217

IDK what, if anything, is different about Ridetech lowering blocks as I don't have their rear end kit, just used their front springs. Summit, Jegs, Speedway all sell the same type of lowering block

EDIT:

I see Ridetech has a specific kit to use with their Ridetech "Street Grip" kit that claims 1" drop so IDK if "regular" lowering blocks work with their set-up

https://www.ridetech.com/products/streetgrip/1-lowering-kit-for-streetgrip-67-69-camaro-w-mono-leaf/

#25 ·
I bought mine from Speedway. I also got the 2 degree shims to correct the DL angle which changed because of the lowering blocks. You may or may not need them so just check DL angle once the blocks are installed

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop...983-1967-47-432-10191-1-949-4712-16-314-31217

IDK what, if anything, is different about Ridetech lowering blocks as I don't have their rear end kit, just used their front springs. Summit, Jegs, Speedway all sell the same type of lowering block

Ah i see, thank you. Aluminum is ok? I thought it’s better to go with cast or iron blocks

#26 ·
Majj, Because these are composite springs I wouldn't use anything but Ridetech's
products without speaking with them first. Personally I think you'll be happy with
with Ridetech's 1" rear lowering kit and a 3/8" spacer under the front springs. Keep
in mind the 67's and 68's rear wheel arch is higher than the front arch by ~3/4" when
the car (sub frame) is sitting level. It's not going to look like a 69. I would start by
adding the rear lowering kit and see how it looks. It may be just fine without adding
the front spacers.

#30 ·
I purchased the street grip kit for my 1967 Camaro. Now my rear end sits almost 2 inches higher in the rear. I purchased the 1 inch lowering block to see if it would help but it didn't. I also get major wheel hop when floored. Really I should of kept my Hotchkis kit and used that instead. I would not buy the kit again.

#34 ·
Which control arms are you using? Wonder if you have stock or aftermarket (with a drop built in). I would call Ridetech for the alignment specs. I am pretty sure you don’t use stock alignment settings on this suspension.

#35 ·
The pictures of his front suspension show stock A-arms.

He ordered SBC/LS kit. OP states he has LS2. Maybe he has iron block LQ4 or LQ9 with optional equip like AC that make it heavier in the front?

#38 ·
Update: Driving the car to work today and..

1) The rear looks like its settling, tiny bit lower now. I was told the leafs need like 300 miles to fully settle/adjust.

2) I'm rubbing more upfront, due to bumpy roads or when braking hard. I think I might need that 3/8 spacers

3) Should I install the rear lowering block first and see if it helps level out the front ? or it doesnt work that way? if it doesn't then ill just install the block + 3/8 spacer

4) Alignment: I got one last month when my alignment was way off. now the car is straight/steering straight... however what is the ridetech alignment? you think an alignment will help the front rubbing issue somehow?

#39 ·
If you used the original factory alignment specs then it needs to be redone with new specs. I thought Ridetech supplied specs but based on your pics I would suggest

-.75 degrees camber
3-4 degrees caster or as much as you can get
1/8” toe in

The negative camber will help mitigate the rubbing a little.

Don

Reactions: 130fe
#40 ·
If you used the original factory alignment specs then it needs to be redone with new specs. I thought Ridetech supplied specs but based on your pics I would suggest

-.75 degrees camber

3-4 degrees caster or as much as you can get

1/8” toe in

The negative camber will help mitigate the rubbing a little.

Don

Thank you for the info! Ill have it adjusted to that. However, as I drove my car more today...the rubbing keeps happening more.

I think I’ll just have to get the 3/8 coil spacers. I see they only come in rubber or aluminum, is aluminum ok? This
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-1102/

Took this today

#41 ·
If this were my car I would do the front 3/8 spacers and rear 1” blocks. Aluminum front spacers.

Don

#44 ·
Yeah I was thinking of getting the 3/8 & 1/2” incase it still sits low.

I can place them on top of eachother right?

#43 ·
Yeah ill order them now. Might get both sizes as suggested since shipping alone to here costs x3 the item price lol

#49 ·
if in fact the spacer does get you 2x the height than a 3/4" spacer gets you 1 1/2"....which at that point is the distance the Ridetech lowering spring gave you over your stock spring so at that point the stock spring would have been fine with your tire size.

I am only noting what a user posted in their review. I have not used coil spring spacers before so don't know what the real "net" height gain is with them

I would not stack them though if in fact you needed the combined height using a 3/8"+1/2" spacer. I would just use a single 3/4" spacer

Alignment (castor), tire size and wheel backspacing are also factors in addressing tire rub. As you have discovered your suspension, now installed, is settling (normal) so now you need to make some "adjustments"

#52 ·
Caster generally impacts tire rub on the rear edge. Camber generally impacts tire rub on the top edge which the OP appears to have.

Don

Reactions: yellow69RS
#56 ·
OP. We all feel your pain with the installation of the new suspension. I don't know if there's any aftermarket product that just "bolts on" and works perfectly. There's always seems to be some fine tuning to do. I think you should raise the front of your car until it stops rubbing, bumpy road or not. Bring a friend with you when testing also, you most likely will carry a passenger with you at some point. Once you get the front of the car to a safe height with no rubbing, start lowering the rear to where it pleases you. IMHO no amount of tire rubbing is safe. It tears up your tires and could cause a blow out at speed. My car is a 67 and is lowered 3 inches and I have had 5 people in the car with no tire rubbing whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.