Opinions on disc conversion and suspension - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Opinions on disc conversion and suspension

I’m new to Camaro’s but just picked up a 67 that’s currently all stock unrestored but in decent shape. It’s all drums so I am at minimum going to upgrade front to disc but honestly it seems like for not much more money I could just go with a complete 4 wheel disc conversion. I’d like opinions on the best complete kit for the money and would prefer not to piece together things. I am also going to upgrade the suspension but I am wondering if it’s worth it to drop a couple grand on something like the complete kit that Ricks sells that includes a new steering box or the Hotchkis kit or should I just throw on some coilovers and new leafs and shocks. Basically how much better can I make it handle for around $2k. My car has manual steering so I thought the Ricks kit that includes a new power steering box seemed like a good deal unless it’s just not quality. Anyway thanks in advance for your help and I’ve already learned a ton from reading the forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 09:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Re: Opinions on disc conversion and suspension

Just did a 67 Chevelle ; here's what I did:

All new Moog rubber bushings on upper and lower control arms

1" drop BMR lowering springs ($110 front)

Replaced upper and lower ball joints (you could install a longer upper ball joint)

1-1/4" addco front sway bar - for a Camaro, use 1-1/8" ($120)

You don't need a rear sway bar on a 67 -69 because of leaf spring suspension

KYB monotube shocks ($160 for 4)

1998 Grand Cherokee steering box from RockAuto ($140)

These mods are cheap and make a huge difference

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Welcome to TC. Front disc is a great upgrade. Rightstuff Detailing has good complete kits.
To me rear disc is not worth the cost. You can upgrade the front suspension quite reasonably
without buying someone's full "kit". New front springs (possibly variable rate like Ridtech) will
make a good improvement. A good steering box and larger swaybar make a big improvement.
Here's a link to a thread on using the Jeep Grand Cherokee box and other info.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...ering-box.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 09:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Forgot to mention brakes. If you are keeping 15" wheels, LS1 brakes won't fit.

You will need 17" wheels for the 12" rotors

BRP Hotrods has the kit , you can use your drum brake spindles to mount the brakes.

You can buy the calipers, rotors and rear backing plates for a 1998-2002 Camaro and install them on your car. The backing plates can be found in junkyards or ebay.

BRP Hot Rods: Brake Kit: 12" F-Body

See the "sticky" at the top of this thread; Al (BPOS) has excellent directions on how to install the rear brakes

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

You can use a 15 inch steel wheel with a 12 inch rotor as that is how Caprice Cop cars were equipped. Those heavy duty steel wheels are vented (lots of round holes not rally wheels) so you can not run hub caps and look stock; you would need a full wheel cover.

Another option is to use the 2 inch wide by 11 inch in diameter rear drums off of a full size B-body car (the lighter A, F, and X-body cars used a smaller 9" drum). It also bolts up to your existing rear axle flange and retains the stock emergency brake cable, while increasing your stopping power. Unless you are going to road race the car you couldn't tell the difference in performance between the larger drum and the rear disc. MP sells them for $500 complete with backing plates ready to install: or you can pull them from the bone yard. Just be sure it is the older 1965-'79 body style as in 1979 GM went metric with five on five (127 mm actually) with M12-1.5 metric studs.

Big Dave
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleCat View Post
Just did a 67 Chevelle ; here's what I did:

All new Moog rubber bushings on upper and lower control arms

1" drop BMR lowering springs ($110 front)

Replaced upper and lower ball joints (you could install a longer upper ball joint)

1-1/4" addco front sway bar - for a Camaro, use 1-1/8" ($120)

You don't need a rear sway bar on a 67 -69 because of leaf spring suspension

KYB monotube shocks ($160 for 4)

1998 Grand Cherokee steering box from RockAuto ($140)

These mods are cheap and make a huge difference
This is great info and I believe I'm going to start with this set up. Can you point me in the right direction to get the longer ball joints? Thanks for the help
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog View Post
This is great info and I believe I'm going to start with this set up. Can you point me in the right direction to get the longer ball joints? Thanks for the help
https://proforged.autocaredata.com/items/101-10016

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

I went with all Pro-Forged replacement parts over Moog

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I recently did Moog steering rebuild kit from Summit, upper lower control arms from classic performance, new moog stock springs, fast ratio steering box from 396.com and a new 1 1/8th sway bar from DR classics
some years back I did front discs and energy suspension poly body bushings and competition engineering adjustable drag shocks. all of it made a huge difference. Very happy so far
I would like to do 4 wheel discs one day though.

1969 Camaro 350 200r4 342 Posi
1987 WE4 Turbo Regal E85
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ME4NSTRK69; Jan 30th, 20 at 01:51 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I used the 4 wheel manual kit from Stainless Steel Brakes. If I recall sourced from Jeg's. I'm happy with it. Don't put many miles on it but no problems

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 06:45 AM
Kevin

Interesting thread! I have a similar setup, but my 4-drum systems includes the 14" drum ONLY original wheels. Is there any front disc system in which the calipers are SMALLER then the GM originals so that I can retain the current 14x6 rims?

Kevin

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Interesting thread! I have a similar setup, but my 4-drum systems includes the 14" drum ONLY original wheels. Is there any front disc system in which the calipers are SMALLER then the GM originals so that I can retain the current 14x6 rims?
Kevin,

You can use original style disc brake (front) parts on your 69 with 14 wheels. I have them on mine.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
Lyle

Right Stuff sells kits that work with the unmodified stock drum brake spindle and 14" non-disc brake wheels.

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxwk14
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 03:10 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
Right Stuff sells kits that work with the unmodified stock drum brake spindle and 14" non-disc brake wheels.

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxwk14
Very interesting! Since I already have a power disc master, for $400 I can get discs pretty easily with that kit. I can keep my current rims, just need to find/fab a dust shield. Thanks!

Kevin

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Kevin, Before you order that kit I would recommend you verify it uses easily obtainable
brake pads. There may be a possibility it requires something non-standard. Just a thought.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode