Team Camaro Tech banner

Pitman Arm Nut

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Shannon4570 
#1 ·
So i have pulled off the rack and pinion and bolted up my new quick ratio steering gear as well as loosely bolted on the center link and tie rods. After looking at many old threads, most of which were concerned with the size of the pitman arm nut, I haven't found anything on how to actually torque the nut. Do I do some hayseed engineering with a two by four to hold the arm or does the weight of the car need to be on the wheels to hold it in place?

Hopefully not the latter as I am not really ready to drop the car at this time. I am really hoping there is a simple solution to this problem.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I did some good old fashioned Rube Goldberg and cut a two by four to fit between the spindle and the arm. I thought about the impact but at the end of the day it's tight enough until the car is on the ground and I can hit it again. My steering box had a large lock washer and relatively flat nut, no castle or cotter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.