2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
disk brake parts

Hello all,

Pulling my hair out over these brakes and feel I am making it harder than it needs to be.

Does anyone have part numbers (or year/make of donor) for a simple manual disk conversion? Just an 11" rotor, single piston set up as close to OEM as possible.

I do not need anything fancy. I prefer to buy the part separate if possible so i know what i am getting as it appears most kits are regurgitated offshore parts. (wilwood excluded). I have called called several manufacturers (I am going to start calling them "rebranders") and none are very specific.

I want to use my OEM spindles. they are already installed on new joints and do not want to beat them apart risking ruining them.

Many thanks in advance.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: disk brake parts

I bought a manual disc MC and hold-off valve from Ground Up. Purchased stock rotors and calipers from my local parts store. They are remanufactured GM calipers.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
I bought a manual disc MC and hold-off valve from Ground Up. Purchased stock rotors and calipers from my local parts store. They are remanufactured GM calipers.
What year/model were the calipers and rotors from? what mounting bracket did you use?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

disk brake parts

This is what I used to help me along. You will need to cut the spindle which was no big deal. You don’t have to be deadly accurate. You can bend the caliper bracket if necessary. I bought parts from Pirate Jacks (master cylinder, caliper bracket, dust cover), Amazon (Delco rotors, Raybestos loaded calipers) I got the brake hoses from Oreillys. If you look at the kits you can pretty much figure out any parts you will need. You existing hard brake lines should work.

Brakes

I just got parts for a 1969 Camaro. I used this proportioning valve and mounted it below the master cylinder. They also had the lines to go from the proportioning valve to the master cylinder.

https://piratejack.net/bottom-mount-bracket/

https://piratejack.net/gm-disc-drum-...g-valve-brass/

I did it this way so it would look original and I could fit 14” steel wheels. PM me, I’ll help if I can.

It looks like this. Technically not “correct” proportioning valve but fits nicely and works well. It combines the two valves used on 1969 and makes it like a 1970 if I remember correctly.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi

Last edited by rp930; Jan 28th, 20 at 01:25 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3353 View Post
What year/model were the calipers and rotors from? what mounting bracket did you use?
I converted someone's 67 to 69 manual disc. You have to buy Chevelle/Monte Carlo calipers when installing them on a 67 Camaro. If you use 69 Camaro calipers, the a-arm bumper will hit the caliper banjo bolt. The Monte caliper brake hose is located differently to provide clearance. I grabbed the spindles and brackets from Ground Up since they are close to me. You can use a combination valve instead of the original distribution block and hold-off valve if you want. The proportioning valve is the one located on the subframe if so equipped. All the correct terminology is here: Camaro Brake Valves More info here: Brakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Sorry I didn’t realize it was a 67.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

I did the same thing long ago. 70 Monte Carlo calipers and brake hoses. 70 Monte master cylinder and combination valve. The car I put them on was a 69 with power drum brakes converted to disc/drum manual brakes.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICO69 View Post
I did the same thing long ago. 70 Monte Carlo calipers and brake hoses. 70 Monte master cylinder and combination valve. The car I put them on was a 69 with power drum brakes converted to disc/drum manual brakes.

What mounting bracket did you use?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3353 View Post
What mounting bracket did you use?
69 Camaro and Monte calipers utilize the same bracket. The only difference is the hose location as I mentioned.
BRICO69 likes this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

In the garage tonight and the bracket from the CPP kit or a right stuff CMB01 (same part) will fit my spindle.

I only see a bracket for a 4 piston caliper listed for the 67 and i get it,, that is what it came with.

Question, Is there a caliper bracket that will fit on my 67 spindle that will work with a single piston caliper?

My front end is together and I really do not want to beat the new ball joints apart to swap spindles.

thanks,
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

70-72 Monte Carlo should work. What are you using for spindles? Stock non-modified
drum spindles or stock disc spindles?

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
70-72 Monte Carlo should work. What are you using for spindles? Stock non-modified
drum spindles or stock disc spindles?
I have the stock drum spindles on the car. CPP said on the phone i could use them with their kit and that is incorrect. The top bolt boss area is outboard ~1" compaired to a disk spindle.

I can get my drum spindles off without damage but the CPP pushes my wheels out over 1/2 inch not zero like advertised, and the kit is full of no name parts.

Most likely purchase my part separately or order the Wilwood kit that adds .190 to the track and also saves on weight.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Chris, You can modify your drum spindles to work with 70-72 Monte/Chevelle calipers, etc.
You need to cut ~.61 off the upper boss and possibly tap the hole deeper. I've seen some
that did not need to be tapped and some that did. IIRC it's a 5/8-18 thread. It's best if the
surface is machined on a mill but if your patient and careful it can be done with a hacksaw
and sanded/filed smooth. The spindle can be removed without damaging anything if you know
how. It's really not difficult. Don't use a damn pickle fork.
rp930 likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

more info
Brakes

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Chris, You can modify your drum spindles to work with 70-72 Monte/Chevelle calipers, etc.
You need to cut ~.61 off the upper boss and possibly tap the hole deeper. I've seen some
that did not need to be tapped and some that did. IIRC it's a 5/8-18 thread. It's best if the
surface is machined on a mill but if your patient and careful it can be done with a hacksaw
and sanded/filed smooth. The spindle can be removed without damaging anything if you know
how. It's really not difficult. Don't use a damn pickle fork.

I got the spindles free last might, Using the energy from the coil spring to brake it free.

that said,, is there a rotor that has less offset? I can use the .500 ones I have now but if it is as easy as ordering a different part I can ship these back.

Or did all single piston caliper brakes move the wheels out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode