Team Camaro Tech banner

Leaf Spring/Shock question

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  AZ_Bill 
#1 ·
I am installing a DSE 3" leaf spring drop kit https://www.detroitspeed.com/rear-suspension-1/speed-kit-1-rear-suspension-kit-1967-69-camaro-firebird-2-or-3-drop-041601-group. I have a '68 12 bolt that had multileafs in my 67 so I assumed that the brackets for the 68-69 multi leaf shocks would work. Not so - the shock that would mount behind the axle (driver's side) does not reach the mount.

New assumption - The '67 - having non-staggared shocks - cannot have the shocks mounted staggered and required both shocks in front of the axle. Confirmations?

I am ordering these brackets (https://www.detroitspeed.com/rear-s...1967-69-camaro-firebird-factory-040302l-group) to use the Koni shocks that came with the kit and mount them in front of the axle.

So any thoughts out there? Will these non-staggered shock mounts work?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
How close does it get? I purchased 1-1/2" DSE drop springs and my shock was close to not fitting but was able to get it on with a little persuasion (Drivers side, Staggered, multi-leaf)

Brett....

#5 ·
The shock hits the axle when trying to route to the rear mounting point. It's not a length issue it's an angle issue. I thought maybe my axle was too far aft but it is lined up with the bolt on the leaf springs so I am doubting that is the case.

Dumb question that I should know - Can a '67 with shocks in front of the axle simply have the mounting plates changed and have one shock go behind the axle or is it a much more involved change?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Ideally your shock should be centered in it's travel at ride height. if the weight of the car is on the wheels and you can't extend the shock far enough to get it installed the shock is too short. I'm not sure how you would measure suspension travel on the ear to determine what the proper length would be.

Jeff

#4 ·
An alternative to the stock front mount shocks is DSE's inboard shock mounting kit that moves staggered shocks inside the springs for added tire clearance and has it's own upper mounting point on a weld in frame cross-member. This way you gain room for a bigger tire and control over your rear end.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.