Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SOA-Nova

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

69 camaro front e-brake cable

Looking at Team camaro site a lot of guys are having the same problem!!Front e-brake cable 1 inch to short.Spent 2 hours on it and just short.Bought from inline tube.Anyone know I can go to get a inch longer front parking brake cable.Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: 69 camaro front e-brake cable

I remember having this same problem but I thought the rear cable was too short. I went to my local True Value hardware and they made up a new rear cable to my custom length. They have the cable and the means to crimp the lugs onto the ends.

It's been holding for 10+ years now.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Feb 9th, 20 at 05:22 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Thanks for that Andrew,But my problem is front cable going into firewall and rear part of sub frame.Just 1/2 short to firewall.Rear cables fine.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 09:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeters View Post
Thanks for that Andrew,But my problem is front cable going into firewall and rear part of sub frame.Just 1/2 short to firewall.Rear cables fine.
Sounds like the housing is too short. IIRC it clips in the firewall up front and clips into the subframe on the other end. I can't think of a way that the routing could be wrong unless it's going below something that it should be on top of. My OEM housing measures 36 inches from where the rubber grommet touches the firewall to the flange that hits the subframe bracket.

Jeff
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Thanks Jeff,I'll take it out get a measure on the cable and see what it is.Its so darn close about 1/2 inch from mounting to firewall.Thanks Jeff

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

The over all length of my front parking brake cable is 57 1/2 inches long.1 inch --1/2 to short.A 58 or 59 inch cable would do the trick.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Found a 61 inch threw NPD don't know why they make them 57 1/2 about 1/2 inch to short.The 61 inch will be the ticket.Thanks

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 09:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Quote:
Found a 61 inch threw NPD don't know why they make them 57 1/2 about 1/2 inch to short.The 61 inch will be the ticket.Thanks
If I understand the issue correctly I don't know how changing the overall length is going to make it connect at the firewall. If I was installing this I would push the housing thru the firewall first, hook the end to the pedal , making sure it is fully "up". Then put the housing thru the subframe and see if that clip will go one. if the clip goes on then try to put the equalized and the intermediate cable on. Best of luck!

Jeff
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
If I understand the issue correctly I don't know how changing the overall length is going to make it connect at the firewall. If I was installing this I would push the housing thru the firewall first, hook the end to the pedal , making sure it is fully "up". Then put the housing thru the subframe and see if that clip will go one. if the clip goes on then try to put the equalized and the intermediate cable on. Best of luck!

Jeff
Jeff,I tried everything!I do mean.It is just 1/2 short in going to firewall.Ordered inline tube and you think they would know.Anywat ordered 61 inch.See what happens.Could cut bracket and move it 1/2 inch forward?Mike

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Ordered inline tube and you think they would know. Could cut bracket and move it 1/2 inch forward ? Mike
I thought too that inline would know what would fit my car when I ordered the right parts but had an issue with the front cable from the firewall to and through the frame being put together with a crimped on stop in the wrong position which then would compress the return spring all the way limiting the amount of cable pull.

Luckily I kept the old original cables and was able to modify the replacement one but now I'm having issues with the intermediate cable stretching and am now out of adjustment thread length on the front cable end. So far I'm at two strikes with Inline.

Personally I would not move the bracket in the frame as this may cause other issues and then later if you were to get the right one, it might not fit right due to the relocated bracket.

On mine I will probably source out another company for the intermediate cable unless Inline exchanges it.

On yours, I would be calling them and seeing how they will resolve the issue. If you cannot get any satisfaction you might have to source parts elsewhere.

Jim
yellow69RS likes this.

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I'm in agreement with Jim about moving the bracket, I would not. I don't think it's as easy as "just" moving the bracket.

Overall my front cable measure 58 1/2 inches. The housing is 36 inches mounting surface to mounting surface and the Ball that stops the spring is 9 inches from the threaded end.

Jim, can you shorten the intermediate cable some how and get the adjustment back?

Jeff
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 08:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I’m not positive I’m understanding correctly, but I remember fighting under the dash with mine. I recall removing or loosening the pedal bracket getting the cable on then I was able to get the pedal all bolted up. It wasn’t easy.
Not sure if that methid would help with your issue.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Jeff Where did you order a 58 inch cable?That would do the trick?Mike

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
I'm in agreement with Jim about moving the bracket, I would not. I don't think it's as easy as "just" moving the bracket.

Jim, can you shorten the intermediate cable some how and get the adjustment back?

Jeff
Yep, I would be hesitant of moving the bracket. To me it seems like the wrong direction to go.

I could probably shorten the cable and put one new crimped on end but I'm thinking years ago I shortened the double U shaped support rod under the passenger front floor board. Doing so would have the cable running a longer length and I could play around with some 3/8" or so solid round stock and once I got the right dimensions maybe shorten/modify the stainless one from Inline (but now I'm wondering is it even stainless steel like what I wanted as I have rust issues in other area's of the kit they stated was "stainless").

The original VS replacement support rod that could be shortened with some heat and some bending then cutting off the excess.

Latest Cable Adjustment VS Original Location (and rust developing on the latest photo I have from 2016):

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 08:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Quote:
Jeff Where did you order a 58 inch cable?That would do the trick?Mike
It's what GM put on it in the 5th week of October 1969. It still moves (sort of) but doesn't look pretty. My car is in a million pieces and in two counties. Not sure if I will put this back on or not.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode